ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
My grandfather quit on a fishing trip because my father didn't have his brand.

Greg Fretwell
Mike,
I quit back in January after getting the flu, a bronchial infection and an ear infection all in one blow... I never started again. and everytime I look at my daughter, I realize just why I quit smile I never smoked around her in the first place, but I imagine I stunk pretty bad still. I, just like Mike, grew up with parents and grandparents in the 70's and 80's that smoked. My mom caught me smoking when I was 15, and basically told me "Buy your own *^%(@% cigarettes!!" so no one ever really tried to get me to quit until I met my wife (Tammy). The hardest part is at work, as everyone else smokes. I know I can't even let myself give in for just one, that I know I could hide... Then It'd be all downhill and I'd just smoke more and more again.

One thing that helps is another foreman on our lease that HAD to quit as he was diagnosed with early stages of emphysema. We've kinda helped each other at rough times...

From From almost 2 packs Camel Wides/day to nada after 17 years.... It ain't easy, but you can do it!!

Best of luck to you and your growing family Mike!! smile

Randy

Trumpy Offline OP
It's Monday afternoon here, I've been at work all day and I was like a cat on a hot tin roof all day.
Trouble started after lunch, when the shakes came on.
Roger,
I know what you mean about routines based around smoking, every morning after a shower I would make a coffee and sit outside and have a smoke and the coffee, everything seems out of whack at the moment.
Thanks guys for your votes of support, I'm going through hell at the moment, strange how getting off a certain drug can have such a profound effect on your body's behaviour.
This is not good at all.

S
Stick to it, Mike, It does get easier after the first week, and even easier after the first month. Maybe you should keep in mind that thousands of others have quit who smoked as much as the others, including me. I quit New Years Eve 2004 instead of New Years Day because why put off till tomorrow what u can do today. It can be done. The best part about not smoking anymore for me has been not having to cough like hell in the morning. The flem and junk takes years to clear your system though. 2 1/2 years later I feel great and can actually breathe.

Good luck to you.

Last edited by ShockMe77; 06/18/07 12:53 AM.
J
Mike, I quit in March with a new medication called CHANTIX and it worked great. 1.5 to 2 pks a day for the last 30 years. I've quit before and this stuff made it a breeze. It was a little pricey at $115 /mnth with a least two mnths required but you figure in your smoke savings and you come out way ahead. No cravings, no mood swings and no weight gain. Good Luck.

E
is anyone here a chewing tobacco user? i chew tobacco and need to quit, i agree its hard and i go through some bad withdrawls, your mind play tricks on you lol, i quit once before and started again but really need to quit again for good!!!!! its a hard thing you are doing but stay with it and good luck to you, you will hit a point one day when you ask yourself why you ever smoked in the first place, i know i felt better when i quit once before.

Tony

E
e57 Offline
Not making light of it, but I do quit every night - it's just that I start back up in the morning. wink

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
E
I am still very much a regular smoker, but my definition of "regular" is about a half-pack (packet) a day. I find myself with nothing better to do when sitting through hours of commuting time to my office. I have done a pretty good job of limiting my smoking time to my commute and a few breaks during the day. NOW, if I am out with my pals at a bar, anything can happen.

My wife enjoys "exotic" cigarettes when she goes out with the girls. These range from extra-long (120mm) ones to multi-colored or black cigarettes with gold filters. Since she's not a regular smoker anymore, she and her friends smoke them and occasionally latch onto a particular brand for a few weeks. The exotic ones are pretty expensive, but I must say that I have tried them and they are mighty tasty.

It's a hard habit to break and we should, but my wife enjoys those weekend jaunts with the girls and I never know what I will be trying the next day.

Like I said, she's not a regular smoker, but some of the smokes that she comes home with are hard to resist. Nat Sherman makes some of the best smokes I have ever tried. If we were committed to a full habit (along with deep pockets), I'd gladly be a full-time smoker again. Good stuff for sure.

Sorry to twist the original direction of this thread, but I like smoking within limits.

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
E
The "occasional" or "recreational" smoker jaunt is one of the biggest BS lines I've ever heard, and I've heard it from a lot of people. do you smoke everyday? then you're an addict, plain and simple, you can say whatever you like to make yourself feel better about it, but one day you'll have to come around and face facts.

I started smoking when I was 15, it started with me and my friends smoking "tasty" and "exotic" cigarettes, and it progressed into half a pack a day at 16 1/2, after only a year and a half, I realised what an idiotI was and quit, it wasn't easy, and I can only imagine how hard it must be for you guys who have been smoking for years. Then I crashed my car and broke up with my girlfriend of 1 1/2 years in the same night, the next day I bought 3 packs of cigarettes. Now, six months later I'm going through the same, miserable process again, I felt uncomfortable about posting this at first, as I'm only 17, but EV's post struck a nerve, the same self-delusional thing me and all my friends went through, only we were (well, are) idiot teenagers. Darnit, if all you guys who have been smoking for decades can kick the habit, I sure as heck don't have any excuses.

Good luck to everyone who's trying to quit, and congratulations to everyone who already has, you guys are an inspiration to me

-Will

oh yeah, besides the health complications for your kids, another reasoin to quit is that your kids will probably look up to you when they're a little older, and that won't make them smoke, but if your first memories are of dad sitting down and puffing on a cigarette...

Last edited by Elviscat; 06/19/07 02:52 AM. Reason: wasn't done yet!
A
I smoked 2 packs plus 10 cigars a day for over 40 years. One day, while in the midst of a cigar, I just said "Enough of this" and have never touched any smoke since (13 years). My doctor has had me speak at quit smoking seminars and we both know it takes a person with extremely strong willpower to quit cold turkey.
BTW, I quit hard liquor the same way about 30 years ago. My wife at the time would greet me with a Jack Daniel's and water when I got home. One day I just said "Coffee sounds better." I still like wine and beer in moderation.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard