ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#164617 06/07/07 11:11 AM
K
Is there a copy of the NEC online?
Thanks!

J
Try this link.

http://www.nfpa.org/freecodes/free_access_agreement.asp?id=7005SB&cookie%5Ftest=1

J
I can't get past the "I AGREE" page. Is there some trick to it?

I
It seems to work know. I was going to post the URL earlier but I was having the same problem and did not want to give you a dead lead. Like I said I just got it to work. It may have just been a site problem.
Ian

Last edited by IanR; 06/07/07 03:30 PM.
J
Nope still won't work for me. I am in Canada. Is it restricted to USA IP addresses?

T
Interesting.. cut, paste and search are disabled. Guess they want you to buy the book, although in a pinch, hitting the "print screen" button on your keyboard (one of those little used keys between the number pad and the letter keys on a PC) and then CTRL+V will paste a screenshot of the NEC 2005 Codebook window into MS Paint. smile Happy pasting. www.gimp.org has a freely downloadable image manipulation program that will let you acquire screenshots of individual windows on your desktop. A little off topic, I know, but in the interest of public safety, why don't they give the NEC away free online, or sell the bound books for a nominal fee rather than the outrageous price they charge? Especially in this digital age, why be so niggardly?

G
in the interest of public safety, why don't they give the NEC away free online, or sell the bound books for a nominal fee rather than the outrageous price they charge?

Because NFPA has become a book peddler, not a safety organization.

Greg Fretwell
N
IMHO, once a document is adopted into PUBLIC law, it should be required to be released into the public domain.

S
Originally Posted by NJwirenut
IMHO, once a document is adopted into PUBLIC law, it should be required to be released into the public domain.

It seems to me that law is inherently public domain.

Z
gfretwell hit it on the head. They sell books... at a huge profit, and that's basically their function.

It seems like passing traffic laws, not letting anybody know about them and making people pay to see them, and then issuing tickets against these hidden laws. I don't think that kind of practice would hold up in court.

HOWEVER, the NEC is NOT the law. It is a privately issued set of guidelines that municipalities decide to adopt or not. That, my friends, is how they can charge (jacked up rates) for their publications.

Surprisingly, however, you can sometimes find local codes on line, which are even more helpful at times than the NEC. Check out your AHJs website sometime, and you may get lucky and find their building/electrical codes available.

Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard