ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#164461 06/04/07 12:05 AM
is mc cable ok to use for an isolated ground
circuit? or should i pipe it and pull individual conductors.
keeping in mind that this is going to be for a recording studio and noise elimination is very important....
thanks
H2o

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
It is OK if you get "medical" MC with 2 EGCs or the new LiteMC with the bond conductor and an additional green wire for the IG.

Greg Fretwell
after futher reviewing iso ground online...
i've read that installation in plastic boxes nailed to wood frames wouldn't require a forth conductor and that the bare conductor in nm 12-2(home run) ie..dedicated would suffice the iso requirement for device....yet i cant help but wonder if noise couldn't somehow get through nm and cause havoc on my installation. where 12-3 would seem better because wires are twisted and red wire identified green would be insulated and perhaps ensure a better noise free installation? any thoughts? would be cost effective in nm with plastic boxes...but if metal sheilds isolated circuit then perhaps 12-3 mc into metal box would be best route.
thanks,
H2o

G
I bet most of the "noise" is going to actually happern in the studio itself from bad leads and ground loops in that equipment. If the whole system is fed from a single dedicated circuit I am not sure where the noise would come from. Where I can see a problem is where you have interconnected equipment on two different circuits fed from different phases. I have had that in my home MP3 system. I assume I am seeing the added voltage drop across the neutrals or something. Swapping the phase on one end so both ends were on the same phase seemed to fix it.

Greg Fretwell
R
There is no evidence that isolated grounds serve any real purpose. The evidence says one of 3 things will happen in about equal proportions...it makes the problem worse, it makes it better, or it makes no change.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)

Link Copied to Clipboard