ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 331 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#163459 05/08/07 03:08 PM
D
DDROWE Offline OP
Does anyone know if there is a requirement to have a "written permit" to perform work on energized equipment in the industrial setting? Our EHS is trying to force this and it is sooooooo time consuming. The only ones that do this work are trained and have all (if not more) of the required PPE.

Thanks

L
Industrial settings? All of the plants and mills I have worked in have had their own saftey guidelines. I don't think you have much choice but to abide by them.

Welcome to ECN also. smile

Luke Clarke
Electrical Planner for TVA.

Tom Offline
Your employer is legally required to provide a workplace that is safe and implementing an electrical safety plan is the way to go. The written plan would include procedures for hot work. It is not supposed to be easy to get the hot work permit. The permit is only supposed to be issued under certain conditions such as turning off the power would introduce additional hazards or interrupt a continuous process. The permit is actually required (I believe) by NFPA 70E, which is the usual basis for an electrical safety program.

Your EHS is not forcing anything IMO, only trying to comply with the minimum requirements of the law.

I also welcome you to ECN.

Tom

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.

Link Copied to Clipboard