ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Well Thanks guys your input is great lets give Bill a chance with your Ideas and you can turn off the left column for less stuff on the screen its under preferences. We have discussed A off topic forum in the past and for now The webmaster would prefer just electrical related subjects I am sure thats not written in stone yet though

Again thanks for the input and yeah i am on many forums and lots have seem to updated and i have noticed overall all the forums have slowed a bit.

T
Don't you just hate it when you do a lot of work and along comes somebody who hasn't done any work and they whine and cry like a little girl about how they don't like the job you did?

Dave

Originally Posted by jkraft
I agree with Romex Racer. What was the reason for the change? I liked the forum the way it was. I hate change just for change sake.

The reason for the change was because the old software was no longer supported by it's vendors.
Imagine the hueing and crying if this site had have died because of a fault in the software that could not be fixed, because of lack of support?.

R
Insults removed by Webmaster

Administrator
Originally Posted by mhulbert
Well, you beat me to it, I was going to post something similar to Romex's post. The sreeen is so crowded with stuff, that it takes a lot away from the actual content (the posts). Also, you can only see about 12 posts on the home page, so they disapear into oblivion after a day. There should be a way to convert this into a single line for each post, instead of the 2 plus cell border that's there now. I know the old software had its bugs, but it looked the best out of all the software I have seen used in forums. I sthere a way to clean up and simplify the new forum software.

Ending my rant, I don't want to complain too much about something that's free and useful! I still love the forum!

Mike
Mike,

Please check out the preferences you can set under 'My Stuff'

Bill

Mike,
Did you also know that if you use Firefox as a web browser, you can hold down the Ctrl key plus + on your keyboard and really stretch things out.(I'd personally only hit it twice mate)
Ctrl plus - (minus) will reduce the size of the text.
Just a thought.
And if you haven't ever got Fire-fox, go here for it.
Mozilla Stuff

Last edited by Trumpy; 04/28/07 02:39 AM. Reason: Edit to fix URL
P
I'm pretty conservative when it comes to this sort of software, and I have to admit that it's taken a while to get used to it, but please do check out the options under "My preferences," because many of the issues mentioned above can be addressed.

I prefer a less-cluttered look, so I have the left-hand column turned off (also beneficial as I'm still using an 800-wide display).

The number of posts per page and the number of topics per page for each forum area can also be customized.

M
OK, I apologize, after setting my preferences, things are quite a bit better. I still have my complaints, which I'll keep quiet about, but overall, this is a great forum.
Mike

J
So what is it that I need to change to see more than one line of a poster's response and not have to scroll through it? I feel like I'm using one of those old speed reading machines.
Joe

Administrator
Originally Posted by mhulbert
OK, I apologize, after setting my preferences, things are quite a bit better. I still have my complaints, which I'll keep quiet about, but overall, this is a great forum.
Mike
Mike,

Truth be known there are things I don't like about it too, but I have hopes I can change some of them as time goes by.

Regarding the need to upgrade - the old software was no longer supported and lacked some features that would help make the Forum better. One was the ability to make important threads or announcements 'sticky' (remain at the top) so that all the Members would get to see it.

Another was the ability for the Members to PM (private message) each other which means their email addresses would no longer be accessible by spambots - and as a bonus - with this BB PMs can be sent and shared among multiple users.

This particular software was decided upon because it came from the same company as the old version and looked the most promising for a seamless upgrade. Most may not realize it, but the addresses of all the old threads have changed. This software had some redirect scripts built in, and with a little tweaking we managed to keep all past thread available and active without having to archive anything or have any dead links.

I'm resistant to change too and put off the upgrade for a long time, but overall I feel it was the best move we could have made.

Bill

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard