ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 273 guests, and 22 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#162760 04/25/07 09:35 AM
G
I am interested in the code requirement called out in 682.33. For example if I have an aerating pump located in a pond and the disconnecting means for the pump is on shore and has a metal enclosure. If I'm reading correctly, this controller location would need an equipotential plane of some discription that extends out 3 feet directly below the equipment and is connected to the equipment grounding conductor of the circuit. Has anyone installed such a plane and what did it consist of?

George Little
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
This is going to be a real problem that is just waiting for someone to point out the absurdities.
It looks like this can affect every sprinkler pump, fire pump and bait shop aeriator in the country if you use a strict reading of 682.
BTW is an underground aquifer a natural body of water? If not, why not?
That would pick up well pumps.
I do find it strange that a pump in a retention pond has stricter requirements than a pool pump.

Greg Fretwell
AH, George:
Starting anothe flamer?? Depends on who you ask, where you are, and how 'good' 682.33 etc is read.
As an EC, last pond aerator I did was it was all PVC, so not an issue.
As AHJ. I have not came upon this situation yet....but the spring thaw is here, may the fun begin?
John

John
G
As long as there is no exposed metal around "the equipment" you probably get away with it. No metal enclosures, raceways or supporting hardware.
The one I see as the first casualty is that big disconnect farm you see on golf courses and gated communities for the irrigation/lake control.
Now that is a bunch of big metal boxes on strut. I assume that will become concrete posts and plastic enclosures ... or they will pour a pad and bond it. The "6 over" wire can be used for this bonding. (862.2)
There is also a break if this equipment is fed directly from the service disconnect. 682.33(B) so the lift pumps out on the road probably don't need it.

Greg Fretwell

Link Copied to Clipboard