ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
Onan is the gold standard for big boats

Greg Fretwell
F
If you guys want the link for the generators please do ask me i will post it here i have more than 15 genny manufacter listing with me so if you want just speak up grin

thanks again

Merci , Marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

L
Another thing to remember is that a engine running on propane will only produce about 80% of the maximum rated output verses gasoline. I don't know what the derating values are for LP or NG. Also watch out for, especially in earthquake prone areas, the gas utility may shut off the gas system in the event of a big natural disaster.

LarryC #162309 04/16/07 09:07 PM
F
Larry i will be glad to fill you in with correct percentage most "dry fuel " generators rated the power on LPG but when it run on Natural gaz it will run 80 % of LPG but gasoline like car gas most of them dont use gasoline at all

yeah i was well aware with earthquake area so mostly likely use diesel fueled units

Merci , Marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

T
Tiger Offline OP
I appreciate your replies. As much as I'd like an Onan, I've already contracted and I'd need a crane to move the Onan.

Dave

Tiger #162408 04/18/07 10:50 PM
J
This is somewhat off topic but moght be of interest to those with Cat 2800 series engines. Our 2812 driving a 900KW Marathon generator had an interesting failure. It wouldn't turn off and destroyed one starter. A tachometer coupling to the encoder that drives the Electronic Speed Switch, failed after the unit started. One output of the ESS is a "crank terminate", which didn't, causing failure of one starter. Another output controls a TDR which enables the fuel and air shutdowns. We had to shutdown using a fuel lever near the governor assembly.

I wasn't willing to have this failure mode again so I added to the control ladder. We drive a generator run relay with a PT powered by the generator output. I added a N.C. contact in series with the crank terminate and a N.O. contact in parallel with the shutdown enable TDO contact. If anyone out there has one and needs more details, feel free to contact me.
Joe

J
I was just at an Inspectors meeting and the speaker was from Generac. He said that they own about 80% of the genset install market.They have trailers touring the country as an eductional show. Tour dates are supposed to be listed on their website.

I don't like that they only used Siemens breakers in the tranfer panels.

Jim M #162464 04/19/07 03:39 PM
G
I didn't like that they tap danced around a question that I asked them about fault currents...or that the training/touring information on their website is either outdated or missing.
I've also run into more than 1 Contractor that swore on a stack of Bibles that they'd never buy another Generac unless they had no other options.
Besides, we all know that the #1 way to get a HUGE part of the market is price. Most folks worry about the purchase cost and could give a hoot about quality or performance.

Ghost307
W
I have a chance to buy a briggs and Stratton Generator, model 1894 ch 7000w new for 850 dollars. Its a portable job with wheels. If I look online I see it 1200$. I hestitate because I'm sure its not the best

walrus #162521 04/20/07 04:54 PM
L
It depends on what you are going to use it for. For use for job power at a remote site it is probably fine. To back up your house for a week during a storm power outage, fine. To permantly install to provide reliable power for your parents respirator, I wouldn't do it.

Briggs and Stratton makes good and cheap engines. the good engines are the Industrial / Commercial series. They can be rebuilt.

You need to determine the reliability you want / need and then figure out what amount of failure you can tolerate.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard