ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
I have a 1/2" B&D that someone gave me. It sat in the back of my tool closet for years and when I finally dragged it out I was surprised. It does act and sound like a real tool. Since then I have used it a lot for nasty jobs like hole saws, mixing tile mud and shooting in big dock screws. I can't break it.

Last edited by gfretwell; 04/14/07 10:39 PM.

Greg Fretwell
N
Some of the OLD B&D tools were rugged.

C
I've got an old Dewalt 1/2" Ni-Cad drill that's seen just about everything from new apprentices to 30 foot drops from a roof top on to concrete. The guts of that drill must be made of some really strong "cast iron" or something, along with the funny - I think_ plastic case that house that creature.

It's kind of like the energizer Bunny - it just keeps going and going....Eat's batteries though - I only get about 200 recharges before we have to take them in for the usual $60.00 overhaul for the new battery cells. The overhauled types I've dealt with now just change out the cells to Lithium-Ion types and they seem to go forever. I kept track of one overhauled battery that was done with the Li batteries and it's just gone through it's 450th charge and still keeps accepting the juice and working like new. That's over a 12 month period for the old Dewalt drill. As far as power goes, I still can't beat corded Milwaukee hammer drills if we have to bust a nice smooth 1" hole in the concrete or drill a 3/4" oak floor.

I've had most of the other stuff, including Ridgid, Bosch, B&D and that green one - Oh ya Hitachi - but Dewalt and Milwaukee are still the outstandingly reliable best for what we do every day.

T
Different businesses, Zapped. I'm hanging residential panels and J Boxes at chest level.

Dave

S
I think I'm going to buy a Panasonic portable to see how they work. Seems like more than a few people highly endorse them here. I just spent close to six-hundred dollars on new cordless tools and they were all Dewalt.

Why Dewalt?

Because those are the cordless tools I have come to depend on to get the job done. I am by no means rich, but I don't have a problem spending money on good tools and good work clothes because I am a professional. No, I do not work for Dewalt, lol.

Last edited by ShockMe77; 04/17/07 01:02 PM.
Mixing the subject, has anyone else been able to try the Milwaukee 28V rotary hammer? A coworker bought one and we used it to set 3/8 drop-ins for about three days. Any other manufacturer making a cordless rotary? I seem to remember an 18v DeWalt.

Pete
S
Got my new 18 volt hammer drill in the mail today from ebay. Just got out of box and so far works fine with my existing battery. Seems a little tight, but I guess that's because it's never been used. In all including shipping and insurance,it cost me
$ 97.00. I'm wondering where they get these drills without batteries or anything else. From Dewalt someway, surplus??

N
Five finger discounters....

M
I buy most of my tools on ebay, and have been very happy with the results. With a little patientce, you can walk away with a great deal on new, unstolen, warrantied tools. Just watch the shipping charges!

S
The new kid on the crew went out and bought himself a whole bag full of Hilti battery tools. I've never seen them before.

Big bux but wow! I've never used tools that felt so "right" and worked so well. The sawzall is especially nice - unusually shaped but it feels so good that it makes me wonder why they aren't all designed that way.

I use deWalts, but I want Hiltis.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard