ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#161976 04/11/07 07:03 AM
My pal Tom turned up this morning on a new electric bicycle he'd bought over from England. It has L-ion batteries, but he was told that for another £100 he could have had the "new polymer batteries". Anyone know what these are?

Wood work but can't!
Lithium-Polymer batteries are often used in cellphones, and other applications where weight is key. Instead of suspending the electrolite in a solvent like LiIo batteries, they are mixed with a polymer, pressed into sheets and laminated onto each other. Because they are constructed of laminated layers, a metal casing isn't needed, so they are much lighter and can be constructed in a variety of odd shapes and sizes. They are also non-flammable.

Originally Posted by noderaser
Lithium-Polymer batteries are often used in cellphones, and other applications where weight is key. Instead of suspending the electrolite in a solvent like LiIo batteries, they are mixed with a polymer, pressed into sheets and laminated onto each other. Because they are constructed of laminated layers, a metal casing isn't needed, so they are much lighter and can be constructed in a variety of odd shapes and sizes. They are also non-flammable.

OK then,
What is thier charge-discharge cycle time like?.
Do they require a dedicated type of charger?.
Is thier amp-hour rating comparable to what is currently in use?.
Would a fuel-cell be better, in this application?.

Trumpy #162160 04/13/07 10:37 PM
From what I've heard, they have standard mAh/Ah ratings, but the technology is still a little behind in the durability department. While a fuel cell would probably be "better" than using batteries in a lot of applications, the cost probably overwhelms the benefits.

Link Copied to Clipboard