ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 269 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
K
I haven't seen the problem that you're describing yet, but I know some parts of this software were meant to take advantage of new IE 7 features so I wouldn't be surprised if there was some issues with older Browsers.

Im using firefox giving me no problems

der Großvater
E
just one more chime-in for a longer edit window, maybe 30 minutes or so, long enough to liesurely edit something, not long enough to change a post in response to comments, which seems to be your concern

just my $0.02

Admin Offline OP
Administrator
Originally Posted by Elviscat
just one more chime-in for a longer edit window, maybe 30 minutes or so, long enough to liesurely edit something, not long enough to change a post in response to comments, which seems to be your concern

just my $0.02
Elviscat,

There is a preview feature which seems to work pretty well. If you use that you can take all the time that you need.

Bill

G
Bill, you're right, on the PC the post looked normal. Thanks! smile

-George
S
Originally Posted by Webmaster
There is a preview feature which seems to work pretty well. If you use that you can take all the time that you need.

Bill
I've lost too many posts to timeouts and back buttons to risk the preview button, Bill. This is really no different than hitting the "save" button in word while you're working on something. Only in this case, once you save it, you only have 5 minutes to finish what you're working on...

I favor unlimited edit time, but at the very least a wider window, 30 minutes to 1 hour. When has posting & editing ever been a problem here? The 5 minute edit window seems to be a draconian solution for a problem that doesn't exist.

P
Originally Posted by Kenbo
Im using firefox giving me no problems

Ditto. Firefox 1.5.0.4 here and it's fine.

Admin Offline OP
Administrator
I've lost too many posts to timeouts and back buttons to risk the preview button, Bill. This is really no different than hitting the "save" button in word while you're working on something. Only in this case, once you save it, you only have 5 minutes to finish what you're working on...

I favor unlimited edit time, but at the very least a wider window, 30 minutes to 1 hour. When has posting & editing ever been a problem here? The 5 minute edit window seems to be a draconian solution for a problem that doesn't exist.
Steve,

It is different that saving something on word because soon after you've posted it is likely that someone has begun reading your post and started formulating their own opinion and possibly a reply about it.

The setting was recently modified to 12 min. I wouldn't have a problem with unlimited editing time if there wasn't an option to not have the edit show. I didn't design this software and am just trying to find a setting that is best for the Membership overall.

Bill

M
Haven't read all thru the problems thread, but I have noticed that when I use the quote button , twice now only my reply shows up, not the original posters message. However their message does come up in a window when I am making the reply, it just doesn't carry over to the post itself.

Admin Offline OP
Administrator
Originally Posted by bigrockk
Just noticed that when doing a "Search" the maximum date range is 1 year.
Any chance this will be extended? There is a ton of good info on this site which is older than one year!!
bigrockk,

The default setting was 1 year. They have a warning that long periods can cause problems sometimes. I raised it to 3 years, let's see how it goes.

Bill

B
Thanks Bill,
Three years should work pretty well!

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard