ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
Some pics of stuff from my collection.

cschow (Chris)

Porcelain lampholders:

[Linked Image]

Despard plug and switches and a CrouseHinds porcelain outlet. Not sure of the application of it:

[Linked Image]

All these fixtures came out of the same house. The lumiline light still works. It was in a closet:

[Linked Image]

Rotary and pushbutton switches. Also an unusual old brass toggle wall switch with plate:

[Linked Image]

Lighted switch plate with a 1945 advertisement for it:

[Linked Image]

P
Thanks for sharing these with us Chris. Some interesting stuff there! smile

a CrouseHinds porcelain outlet. Not sure of the application of it

Ah.... A double T-slot receptacle again. Have a look back through the Nostalgia area; we've had several discussion about the use and development of these.

Also an unusual old brass toggle wall switch with plate

Similar switches were once common in some British applications -- Different mounting arrangement to suit our different boxes and plates, but the same style of toggle. They were fairly common for multi-way switch banks on 1940s/50s installations in schools, commercial buildings, etc.

K
Positively lethal looking by today’s standards.

In pict 4, what type of cable is used to supply the switches?

der Großvater
S
The Crouse-Hinds outlet was probably for surface-mount conduit installations -- like a garage, workshop, store, factory or other such place?

Now you have to buy all those parts separately. smile

W
The triplex Despard outlet is just like ones in my mom's house. It's usually a single molded piece instead of 3 devices on a metal frame. The ones in my mom's house are in excellent shape and grip plugs well. Only downside is that it doesn't accept 3 prong plugs with grounds.

It turns out that the Despard cover plate mounting screw hole locations match up exactly with Decora plates. You could carefully cut a Decora sized rectangular hole in a Despard cover plate to make it fit say a GFI outlet. If someone wants all the cover plates to match existing ones in the room...

S
Yeah, but by now that plastic is probably all brittle from age. Good luck cutting the hole without having the plate shatter. frown

P.S.: The Lumi-Lite plate is "t3h win". cool

Last edited by SvenNYC; 04/03/07 04:05 PM.
C
Originally Posted by Kenbo
Positively lethal looking by today’s standards.

In pict 4, what type of cable is used to supply the switches?

Just standard old knob and tube wire.
The toggle switch came out of a basement entrance and it was actually set into a pocket in the rock, so it looks a little beat up.

Originally Posted by SvenNYC
The Crouse-Hinds outlet was probably for surface-mount conduit installations -- like a garage, workshop, store, factory or other such place?
smile

Was a surface mount. There are no mounting screws for it, so it was supported by the ridgid conduit. It tilts down about 30 degrees when mounted. Nice feature IMO.

More pics on their way.

C
Can you post a picture of the back of the Lumi-Nite Plate? I want to see how it connects to the power. Thanks

Theres always enough room in the junction box.You just need a bigger hammer
C
Originally Posted by ComputerWizKid
Can you post a picture of the back of the Lumi-Nite Plate? I want to see how it connects to the power. Thanks

I will submit it in my next batch of pics. I was looking at how it was powered, and there are no diagrams or instructions on it. The back has 2 black leads with spades. I assume they connect to the screws on the switch itself. The leads weren't hooked up when I removed the plate.

P
There are two brown wires that get tied into the travelers. It contains a neon lamp inbedded in resin.

Link Copied to Clipboard