ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#1605 05/18/01 12:58 AM
Sparky's Laws

1) The box with the bad connection will be the only box you haven't opened yet.

2) The weakest Knock-Out will be one size larger than the one you needed.

3) If you have just enough decorative screws for a light fixture, you will drop one in the snow.

4) The batteries in your drill/flashlight/meter will die just as you get to the end of the crawlspace.

5)The bit that is in your drill will be the wrong size, or dull.

6)The tip that is in your screwgun will be the wrong type or worn out.

7)The tool that you need right now while your holding the part in place, won't be in your toolpouch.

8)The check valve in the bucket truck will stick when you're 35 ft. up, in a blizzard, (with no cigarettes).

9) The house you just wired that has a staple that is 54-1/16" from the next has a greater risk of failure/fire/electrocution/lawsuit than the 1900's 30A 120V service and Knob and Tube wiring that the neighbors refuse to replace.

10) The best way to find bedrock is to start driving a ground rod.

[Linked Image]

Be creative...add your own!

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 09-02-2001).]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
#1606 05/18/01 09:24 AM
Tom Offline
Very nice. [Linked Image]

Don't have much time right now, but one I do know for sure is that the farther you're working from the supply house, the less likely it is that you have what you need on the truck.

Tom

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
#1607 05/18/01 10:38 AM
If it is in the truck, the tool or material you need will be in the bottom of the pile.

-Virgil
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
#1608 05/18/01 11:03 AM
Sorta off topic:

I tell folks I'm an electrician by day and a musician by night. Sounds glamorous, but really it means that I untangle cables 24 hours a day...

-Virgil
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
#1609 05/18/01 04:05 PM
S
the one widget you really need to complete the job ( and get paid) will always be on B.O. ....

Virgil,
don't quit yer day job!

[Linked Image]

#1610 05/18/01 05:41 PM
S
* someone will always want changes AFTER sheetrock......

* the inspector will always find that one thing you wished he'd pass by....

#1611 05/18/01 06:24 PM
I've decided to compile these and put them on my web site.. any objections?

Any additions? C'mon guys, sparky, Tom and me aren't the only ones here with a sense of humor are we?

Bill, maybe compile a section of (and for) all sparky jokes here too? We seem to have quite a few spread all over the BB...

[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 05-18-2001).]

-Virgil
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
#1612 05/18/01 07:17 PM
Tom Offline
The day after you trash your collection of leftovers & oddball electrical parts, you'll need that part that was gathering dust for 10 years.

The life of light bulbs is inversely proportional to the distance from the parts house.

Tom

[This message has been edited by Tom (edited 05-18-2001).]

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
#1613 05/19/01 05:58 AM
Broom Pusher and
Virgil,

Great idea here!! Love the #10 item in the first post - bedrock is found by Electricians driving rods, not Geologists!!

Got the same 24/7/365 cable untangling [or unweaving] situations going on also - when I was a Drum Tech [which also made me the repair tech, carrier of drums plus amps and cables, and all that baloney because no one else could -??] that was the deal.
Now, it comes with LAN work, then home entertainment stuff for everyone in the neighborhood!!

Like you said "Sounds glamorous, but really is untangling cables 24 hours a day", just my stuff doesn't sound glamorous to anyone except maybe bored extra-terrestrials.

Steve,

I'm jealous!! Thought that changes and additions after drywall is hung, taped and topping is drying only happened to me [joke!!]
My favorite for these on our Bank projects is there's always some changes to the walls with the cladding in them, plus the ceiling spaces are cladded.

Here's a few to add to the Sparky's Laws list:

* Unibit falls out of chuck and into a finished wall when drilling the top plate on steel stud framing,

* The speednut that you hand tightened enough to hold the ballast so you can grab the other one, holds fine until you just touch the 2nd stud - then it lets the ballast fall,

* Your last orange wirenut for that same ballast falls out of your hand, then rolls away so fast it cannot ever be found again - resulting in 93rd trip to truck for more,

* The fixture with the loosest lampholder allows the last of your T8 lamps to fall out and "Pachinko Ball" bounce it's self clear of the fixture - ends up all over the floor,

* The open unused free spaces on the subpanel's bolt-on bus are the only ones without the screws [trip 94 to truck],

* Plug your battery charger into an existing receptacle - when plugging it in noticing that it's cover plate is almost brand new, while the rest are old and cracked - after pushing the receptacle into the 2 layers of drywall laminations, it stops on the 1/2" raised ring, then emits a shower of sparks,

* Removing a panel cover and having it "Attack You" when it springs away from the wire packed subpanel,

* Finding out from your Inspector that he/she doesn't like the #14 green conductor connected to a 40 amp 2 pole breaker, nor likes the orange wire for the common neutral - all in your ready to inspect new subpanel.
After assuring yourself that it's not a dream, you see the same thing! When you remove it, the next day there's a hostile note from some specialty type vendor telling you not to mess with his stuff,

* All the LOTO in the world cannot stop the most determined morons,

* Drywall stocking crews figure the best places to stack the sheetrock would be in front of the gear, subpanels, right under your ceiling J-Boxes, across your floorduct outlets, across your open sawcuts for floorduct, against the wall with the most electrical outlets, trapping your job boxes in a restricted movement,....,

* The one and only room on the entire project that you go to work in because there's no one doing anything in there, becomes priority 1 in the minds of all other trades - resulting in 17 people working in a 10' x 10' room,

* The 1/2" KO on the hot panel that you cannot shut down, pops out with such ease, it bounces all around, then falls right against a hot subfeed lug and lays against the deadfront mount - but luckilly doesn't blow up because no one has messed up the paint on the mounting bracket [this happened once to me and it scarred the HE** out of me!!],

* The sizzorlift you are using on a 250,000 square foot concrete tilt-up, has a top speed of 0.001 MPH when the deck is lifted even 1/192" up. When lowered that last fraction of an inch, it takes off at 0.002 MPH - so the trip across the building takes all day, regardless if you have the lift all the way up to 20 feet, or fully dropped,

* Same sizzorlift goes into tilt alarm when running over a piece of 1/2" EMT,

* Pulling that same lift out of the mud because some clown took it off-roading while you are on lunch break.

I'll have some more for this thread after this weekend's work [Linked Image]

Scott SET

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
#1614 05/19/01 06:11 AM
Laughing Out Loud... And it is even worthy of not abbreviating that!

That's awesome, Scott... I'm in tears here!

Ammendum to #10
The bedrock that the piling drivers so desperately tried to find, will appear at the first hammer swing when driving a ground rod.

More:
An unexplained and mysterious gas line will be hiding behind the hole you're about to cut. (Did that once, didn't cut into the pipe, but it sure played heck on the switch location I had chosen!)

As soon as you climb onto the last step on your ladder, the "whitehat" will walk around the corner...

Any more from you guys? We could have a book here!

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 05-19-2001).]

-Virgil
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard