ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 379 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Be sure the person is not a "light freak". Had one of these and the person would leave her light on 24hrs a day. All the light fixtures had 100w lamps. She was pulling about 10 amps all the time and complained about high bills.

R
I second that with SteveFehr. Measure all individual circuits with a clip on ammeter and work out which one has a high unexplained use on it.
Then trace back which appliance is the culprit.

Also the meter was checked by the POCO ? I have done field meter testing for over 10 years in the POCO and meters rarely fail.
Generally they tend to be slow when bearings wear out.
A lightning strike may damage the brake magnet sometimes but you have guaranteed damage to home appliances as well.

Electronic meters are very accurate but are known to have sometimes unexplainable errors when capacitirs fail on the internal circuitboards.

Even 40 and 50 year old meters are still well within their accuracy class.

Good luck with your findings !

The product of rotation, excitation and flux produces electricty.
J
Joey D Offline OP
You guys are on it, lighting is one of the big draws and so is the furnace as it runs a lot during the winter. They have a small fridge and a large on. Nothing by itself is large but there are 6 breakers that draw more than the usual 2-3 amps.
My wanting the recording was to get a month of readings as you all know they don't leave the lights on all the time, at least thats what they tell me.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard