ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
H
Easy solution to this quandry is to find out what the cable company is using. You are, after all going to interconnect with them. Hell, ask nice, tell them what you are doing and they may even give you a box.

Unless you use the same connectors that they use expect to have them cut off so take that into consideration when providing tails as well as purchasing connectors.

-Hal

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

B
Who is the cable company?

If it's Cox or Comcast they use quad-shield cable, usually Commscope F6SSVV. I have seen TFC (Times Fiber Coax) cable used also, but not within the last several years.

If it's Adelphia, they were using double-shield cable because they were too poor to pay for quad-shield [Linked Image] I have no idea what they're using now that Comcast owns them. Probably quad-shield.

M
Our local cable company uses a tri shield. They are ok if I use quad as a substitute for Road Runner installs. Quad is more readily available for those of us not connected to the cable company.

D
Bob, I am probable too late to jump in here, but how far in the future are yo looking into?. May companies offer combonation packs of CAT, coax and optic in a common sheth,

B
Here's a great article on Quad-shield cabling from AudioHolics.
http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/audioprinciples/interconnects/quadshieldcables.php

Quad shield has some uses, but definately not for all uses.

You should be fine with regular combination of foil/braid shield for running CATV.

I recall reading somewhere that aluminum-braid coax is a relatively recent invention, having come out in the 1970s (not 100% sure). Apparently this is because the technology to make a braid out of aluminum did not exist until then. I believe this type of cable was known as Aluminax at one point.
Is that why cheap Hex type crimps use Aluminium?.

Tinned Copper has been used for years.
For fuses and allsorts of other things.

B
I don't know. The cheap hex crimps I've seen are all made of chrome plated zinc (I think). Definitely not aluminum.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard