ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#160107 05/23/05 01:10 AM
Broom Pusher and
Oh, almost forgot to mention this!

macmikeman;

Sorry Scott, I misread your post. I thought it said terminate both ends, when in fact you correctly said to terminate "both" the shield and the drain. My apoligies offered.

You better be sorry!!! I never make Miss Steaks!
[Linked Image]

Just kidding! I thought it would be funny to razz you! [Linked Image]

Poor spelling intentional, too! (I.e.: I make many "Miss Steaks")

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#160108 05/24/05 12:20 AM
N
Nick Offline OP
Wow, allot of debate on this! I figure I will give a little more info on the system.
Scott, this is not LON works cable. There is a LON works comm link from each genset for generator control but this serves a different function.
Here is the PLC. There is one in each generator. They all have this network card. The other end of the cables come together in a master control cabinet where they terminate in an 8 port router which I don't have info on. The router is connected to a DSL connection and has an Ethernet cable running elsewhere inside the control cabinet. I'll post a picture tomorrow.

I think Solarpowered hit the nail on the head.
I'm thinking this is a case of the guy thinking, "Shielded is better than unshielded, so I'll specify shielded."
The engineer will never admit he speced something wrong.

#160109 05/25/05 03:27 PM
Administrator
Posted for Nick:
Picture 1 is at the generator end. There are 4 of these. Picture 2 is where they come together at the router in the DMC

- Nick
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

#160110 06/06/05 02:02 PM
P
As a Computer Network Tech, this is my bread and butter.
The shielding is probably a little overkill, but why not, there is a possibility [garantee] of the Generator building up EMF noise later on.
The connector on the network card for the PLC should have a Shield ground point, Manufacturers have been requred to use one since about 1999, mostly because they can't buy the unshielded surface mount RJ-45 connectors anymore.
On the card I don't see the ground tab on the circit board, but some of them are a surface mount which I can't see.
The NetOpia router definatly has the ground tab on it. (I have not found anything new without the shilding tab in years)
That said. Here is a link to RJ-45 Crimp Terminators, http://store.pchcables.com/rjshmoplfors.html

With Ethernet the sheilding being grounded is optional (Defeates the purpose mostly) but otherwise it does shield high level EMF and Radio static.
Also they are not technically grounded. There is a large resistor in place to prevnt a true ground out and Fire hazzard.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard