ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 278 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#159740 01/23/05 04:13 AM
K
kinetic Offline OP
Looking for a bit of helpful insite on some structured wiring for my own house. I know enough to be dangerous when it comes to VDV. I am only working on three bedrooms for phase one but plan on doing the whole house at some point. I already have two RG6 and Two Cat 5e at each bedroom. Is that enough? I can always add more later if need be but don't plan on getting to elaborate with it. I was going to use an ABUS system for my aduio but wanted to mute it when the chime or the phone rings. What is the easiest way to go about doing that? What kind of equipment would I need to answer a door intercom from my phone? Just a voice intercom. I also plan to integrate my alarm as well. What else would I need for that? I know a few of you are not big on the "systems" but would they work best for what I am trying to do? Anything that would work with a Homeworks system would be a plus as well.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#159741 01/23/05 12:40 PM
E
e57 Offline
2 RG6, and two Cat-5e, sounds like enough, I will often run three cat-5e for this purpose.
Phone, network, and spare/network return.
Often customers will like to have thier modem in an accessible area for reset(easier for troubleshooting), or to shut it off on the kids. Or used as a spare, you might want to use it for something that you wouldn't want to use pairs from a net, or phone jacket, like say audio, or something like that.

As for intercom and phone I would suggest something like this: http://www.panasonic.com/consumer_electronics/communication_systems/dig_sup_hybrid_sys.asp

And use the intercom card for its purpose, but many will often have NC/NO contacts (for external chime) that you might be able to use for that mute function you mentioned. And like wise, simular external ringer for the phone could also be used like that. But both would take some investigation...... Like down-loading the manuals and making sure you could. As far as alarms? I cant think of anyway to intergrate them? And Homeworks would be the same as it would be without a phone system.

Either way, do all the investigating before you invest, something like that is going to be a pretty penny, and hopefully the last you'll buy.

[This message has been edited by e57 (edited 01-23-2005).]

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#159742 01/23/05 12:55 PM
E
e57 Offline
Ok I attempted three times to correct that hyperlink.... You'll have to copy and paste it.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#159743 01/23/05 01:10 PM
A
Kinetic,

You could install ENT. This would allow you to upgrade or install new cables at any time. Checkout the Carlon website. http://www.carlon.com/Brochures/2F54.pdf

[This message has been edited by A-Line (edited 01-23-2005).]

Link Copied to Clipboard