ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 269 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
B
BobbyHo Offline OP
I seem to be having a brain cramp. I just hired an apprentice (green but with out of trade school)and I can't figure how to charge out for us on a service call. I was talking to a guy that does flat rate and it sounded great to me but how do you come up with prices for everything. I know that it has been posted here before so if someone can please post the formula for calculating the hourly rate. I have been doing this for a few years already and now that I have the apprentice it feels as if I am starting all over again as far as coming up with rates. For example, I had a guy call me up for 3 ballast changes (he has the ballasts,basement lights) change a switch, and run a new phone line (1st floor,open basement). It is a 45 minute drive 1 way,so I told him $305.00 and I got "Whoa, I'll have to think about it". That's fine but the flat raters and up front price guys seem to knock these out of the park. How?

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
T
Giving someone a price on the phone encourages them to call others for a lower price.

Dave

E
If you have MS Excel or compatible spreadsheet program and would like a copy of the hourly rate calculator that I use, send me an email, and I can forward you a copy.

Cat Servant
You're confusing two separate issues.

The customer has no care as to how you do the job. The job is worth the same, regardless of whether you work alone, or have help.

The idea of having a helper is for him to... help. A second pair of hands can turn a 3 hr pull into a 15 minute pull. He can make a big difference in set-up and clean-up times. He can greatly reduce the trips up the ladder.

Link Copied to Clipboard