ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
D
I wonder though, when you do a time and materials project, do you give the client a ballpark up front to smooth things over somewhat?

Yup, give them a best and worst case scenerio, and update them as you go. If it is a Trouble shooting job, the more informed they are, the less they worry.

Still, a combo of T&M to find out whats wrong, and then contract what you have left to do, would be my choice is this post.

[This message has been edited by Dnkldorf (edited 09-12-2006).]

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
A
If it smells fishy, it probably is. I would get a signed agreement that you are only finishing work installed by another and his agreement that he absolves you of ANY liability for what has gone before. Get a healthy deposit and charge him for every minute you spend sniffing out problems. Make him understand (over his signature) that you get paid every week, that the materials will be furnished at x margin and that you charge for a.) going to get stuff, b.)standing around thinking about stuff, c.)ALL conversations with him or his family and friends about the project, d.)any and all additions/corrections/modifications/relocations/removings/...etc. I have had some very difficult experiences with wealthy foreigners and middle eastern types seem intent to skin tradespeople. I did some finish work for a Pakastani Princess in SE Ark a few years ago and found out that I was the 7th or 8th. electrician on the job and that every one who had ever worked on the mansion hated the woman. I was paid, but it took some intimidation on my part and she still took me for a service call later and I had to eat a 1,000 W. dimmer that was the wrong color. Rather than seem like a rant against foreigners, use contracts because there are jerks from Poughkeepsie as well as Punjab and the contract lets everyone know who/what/how much/when

K
I offered him T&M at $75 an hour deducted from a $5000 prepaid retainer, with no warranty.

No response....

L
WIth no response Kiwi, I'd say you've avoided a big headache. Good decision on your part.

Luke Clarke
Electrical Planner for TVA.

sounds like it worked out for the best!!!

Choose your customers, don't let them choose you.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard