ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 272 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Cat Servant
[Linked Image]

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
E
I am currently helping out one of my consulting clients.

They have started a new division, and have yet to figure exactly where their market is. However, they have more requests for estimates than you can shake a stick at.

In the process of trying to sort the business out for them, they have asked me to step in as a commission sales rep. To see first hand what is happening and to help them figure their systems out.

The moment that I am giving the proposal and I get a verbal agreement from the customer to get the project done. I ask for the deposit. Because the product is generally special order, we are requesting a minimum of 25% down. 5 sales in the last 5 days and no problem collecting the deposit immediately.

If you don't have the financial backing to carry the customer indefinitely, you need to make sure you don't finance the project at all. It is the customers project, let them pay. I believe in using terms like 10% on signing (although, many are asking for much more), 40% on materials arrival, 30% on completion of rough-in, 20% on completion. Or, some variation.

Just my thoughts.

M
Although I am not burdened by this requirement, some states do not allow large deposits on home owner contracts. Ask the California guys about it.

[This message has been edited by macmikeman (edited 09-03-2006).]

P
I generally get 1/3 to 1/2 down before I start work.

The exception to this is when we do a larger commercial project. The GC has his own ideas on when/if to pay you. You can 'bank' on him being late or paying just before you apply for the next draw on the project. The key to these projects is to READ the contract and markout anything you dont' like. The contracts are typically a AIA standardized form that is written solely for the benefit of the GC. Phrases like 'this is a no lien project' and 'sub-contractor pays all legal fees' need a big fat line drawn through them.

T
I require a deposit on larger contracts and attempt to make the payments according to my need for cash on their project. For a house or new commercial projects I like an advance that covers the service, a mid-payment that covers everything to rough & a final payment that covers trim. With emt jobs the payments are front-loaded to the advance and rough. As a percentage of contract, trim is not very much.

Dave

Link Copied to Clipboard