ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 466 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#158753 08/18/06 06:53 PM
K
kencr Offline OP
Can anyone tell me how the permit process works in NC ? Here in NJ as some of you know it is cut and dry. All couties, and towns follow the same rules for getting an electrical permit. I am pretty sure De is the same. Pa ?? Every city and town have their own rules.
The reason I ask is that a GC that our company has worked for, for 10 plus years is bidding work in NC .. my boss who dont even know what the internet is ..asked me to look into if it may be worth trying to bid on the work there.
Any one from NC ??
Thanks

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
S
kencr, here is my area, you first have to have a city priveledge license, and of course your NC electrical license. Some places and communities differ, so you would be best to contact the inspection dept. first.
As far as bidding goes, you might have a fair chance on some of the bigger commercial projects, or industrial, and maybe on some big apartment projects, but may be tough on regular housing projects. In my experience, it seems North Carolina
has much lower tolerances for "profitable rates" than other states in residential housing. That's one reason I don't really go after "new housing" projects. I've done that, been there. A whole lot of work, with not much profit. I rather do service changes, additions, etc. I can do better at the small jobs, than the bigger ones it seems. Hope it works out for you though. I'm just a small contractor. If your company is larger, and has the man power and equipment, you may do good. Steve...

K
kencr Offline OP
Thanks for the info Steve

We are also a small company, four of us, unless the boss decides to work rather then fish or golf. Then 5
I pretty much do all the commerical jobs .. most times alone. ( i dont work well with others, I hate morons.. who the boss seems to hire most of the time )
The job in NC is a small commerical job, no bidding involved .. if we want it and can do it ... The GC says its ours.. not sure what the head cheese will do..

J
I dont think NJ has recoprocity with NJ. Who is gonna get the EC licence?

Link Copied to Clipboard