ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#158327 04/19/06 05:46 PM
J
jft1215 Offline OP
Hi everyone. In the past we have typically worked on a T&M basis but as we attempt to understand our cot structure better and our efficiencies we are going to move to flat rate bidding. I remember seeing a book or disk that was a database for the standards broken down to the smallest function. Can anyone help me out and tell me if I was dreaming or the name of the resource?

Thanks!

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
#158328 04/19/06 06:18 PM
M
jft,

check out www.catlystservicemarketing.com

or

google "flat rate pricing manuals"

or

look for RS Means or NECA for labor units.

There are dozens of options on the market.

Good luck.

[This message has been edited by mahlere (edited 04-19-2006).]

#158329 04/19/06 06:21 PM
J
jft1215 Offline OP
Thanks for the reply Mahlere!

I believe it was RS Means that I remember seeing. Doesn't that include the pricing as well as the labor it "should" take to install the respective part, etc.?

#158330 04/19/06 06:24 PM
M
RS Means has it all. The thing is, it will not be specific for you.

If you really want to go flat rate, look into a flat rate system. You will need to determine your costs and times.

That will allow you to charge profitably and keep your customers happy.

#158331 04/19/06 06:40 PM
L
LK Offline
jft1215,

Welcome, first if you could complete your profile, it would help us know a little about, what area you are working, and if you are an estimator. or contractor.

T&M, or contract, your cost basis will be your guide, some price guides, give labor hours, based on what it takes, to do a certin task, others, breake it down. to time and motion units, they may come from, an estimators, actuals record, or from detailed job reports, with all this information, you will still need, to know the job conditions, and skills needed, for each job.

"a book or disk that was a database for the standards broken down to the smallest function."

When tasks are broken down, into the smallest function, they become, time, and motion, which is good to study a workers efficency, but not much good to estimate a project.

#158332 04/19/06 06:52 PM
J
jft1215 Offline OP
Thanks for the help LK. I'm going to complete my profile now.

I'm a contractor working in the family business. For the last 20+ years we have only treated it as a side business since we all have other jobs. My father started the business in the early 80's. We're now looking at taking on larger contracts and I'm attempting to build an excel estimating model that will help us. We've never really analyzed how efficient we were compared to any standards. I want to use this as a benchmark to fully understand our efficiencies and where we can improve.

I see where it might not be the best approach to estimate (who can really break every function down like that). I just want to take some data and see how I can use it in my estimating model.

Thanks for everyone's input! I will take it and learn from it.

#158333 04/20/06 12:55 PM
J
jft1215 Offline OP
I've been looking at the references everyone referred to me and they look like what I'm after. My only concern is that I don't see anywhere where I could get this data electronically so I could use it in Excel. Does anyone know where to get this database electronically? I don't want to keystroke that!

#158334 04/20/06 05:25 PM
RS Means sells their data in electronic format as an overall solution called Means CostWorks. I've never used the product (we have Means books and Means database data in our estimating system) - but they can be reached at 800 / 334-3509.

The NECA labor units data is available also in electronic format in a proprietary lookup application that will export individual items to an excel format. A little klunky, but it works OK. Ya gotta contact NECA directly to see how to get this.

Note: Both of these are cost based, meaning they attempt to estimate the cost to the contractor of performing the work. NOT the same as a Flat Rate Pricing system.

Another note regarding Means: Material prices sometimes fluctuate much faster than they are able to provide updates.

Lastly, you'll find that these products are not cheap. Might be easier to buy a light version of an electrical estimating system and build custom assemblies that represent various items or work tasks that can be priced, labored, marked-up and tabulated as Flat Rate Price items. Just an idea . . .

Radar

There are 10 types of people. Those who know binary, and those who don't.

Link Copied to Clipboard