ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#15795 10/30/02 01:12 AM
It has become quite apparrent that many members here have a proficiency and deep interest in things other than Electrical work. I think it would be interesting to hear about such things. Care to share?

Some time ago I was very interested in Photography, mostly preferring B&W, and considered a career in it but it never happened. I had a Darkroom at Home and processed 35mm to 4x5 B&W film. I studied things like Black Body temperatures, Refractive Indexes & Optics but never really had a chance to apply any of it. I also enjoy Building and Upgrading Computers.

How about you?

[Linked Image]
Bill

Bill
#15796 10/30/02 01:44 AM
Hi, Bill,
I love to play and teach Electric Bass.
But at this time of the year(summer) the Fire Service takes up a great deal of my time putting out herbage fires and attending car crashes, to relax I normally like to have a BBQ out the back, with a few friends,
beers aplenty.
[Linked Image]

#15797 10/30/02 06:47 AM
T
Hi Bill,
I'm with you on the computers as a hobby, (see my new thread in the computer section), I also enjoy using my selection of wood working tools, and I work with a friend of mine building toy trains, I say toy, but these are big enough to ride on. The rails are 12 inches apart. The electricity stuff just pays the bills. [Linked Image]
TW

[This message has been edited by Trainwire (edited 10-30-2002).]

#15798 10/30/02 07:24 AM
S
i raise pigs, chickens...and i'm a 'horse-dad'*

* shovel & fence post digger included....

[Linked Image]

#15799 10/30/02 11:36 AM
E
So many possibilities and so little time!

Built a 3-pole Sioux tipi from scratch, and lived in it.

Hauled water & heated and cooked with wood in a 1921 log cabin in the Sangre de Cristos mountains of NM.

Have built my last two computers.

For pure joy, I sing in the choir, and for relaxation I note the noises the round oak wood burner makes, and I remember. . .

[Linked Image]
Al

Al Hildenbrand
#15800 10/30/02 01:02 PM
M
Aside from my regular job as an audio-visual director at the local community college, I serve as the organist/choir director at my church. I am also involved in the emergency services as a firefighter/chauffer and as a paramedic. I operate a small commercial sound business on the side (providing sound systems for stage productions, special events of various kinds, and occasional emergency repairs, i.e. when the sound system at the football stadium konks out...) as well as do lighting and sound work for our community theater.

Sometimes, at the end of a long day, I just like to sit on the front porch at dusk and watch the traffic passing by on the highway and the streetlights going on and work on my vintage electrical boxes... [Linked Image]

Wife says "when do you have time for me and the kids...blah, blah, blah... " [Linked Image]. AAARRRGH!! Maybe she's right...

Mike (mamills)

#15801 10/30/02 03:39 PM
Bill:
Besides contracting, & two days as an inspector, the electrical trade pays the bills. Relaxation consists of a 60 mile trek "down the shore". Bought a house 18 months ago on a lagoon, in a great neighborhood. Have the boat docked at the back yard, & come 'n go as we please. Neighbors are great & party all weekend. It's tough to get anything done on the weekends "in season" (April to Oct). During off season, I fool around refinishing old furniture & house projects (honey-do list) and play around on the computer.
John

John
#15802 10/30/02 05:05 PM
N
Enjoy hiking/camping/backpacking, as well as ham radio and repairing/restoring vintage electronics. Also a collector of vacuum tubes (thermionic valves for those outside the US).

#15803 10/30/02 05:46 PM
Tom Offline
My number one hobby is competitive bullseye pistol shooting, followed by BS shooting [Linked Image] then comes pool (one-pocket & 9 ball). Also into woodworking & I've built quite a few stained glass lamps & windows.

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
#15804 10/30/02 06:22 PM
E
What else do we do?

I’ve been a member of the Road Aces – http://www.electric-ed.com/images/RoadAce.gif

And a short track racer – http://www.electric-ed.com/images/Stockcar.gif

Built a portable sawmill and a bunch of
implements for my tractor – http://photojo.com/galleries/Search.asp?search=implements

Now it’s woodworking, gardening and maintaining my website – http://www.electric-ed.com/

Ed

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard