ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#158020 03/20/06 04:09 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Guys,
I'm wondering.
If you are going to price a future job, what sort of things do you look for at that site?.
I've done this sort of work before and I can't but feel, I'm missing some of the things I should be looking at.
Anyone care to comment?.

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
#158021 03/20/06 07:56 PM
Cat Servant
When I look at a jobsite, there are a few things that come to mind.
The first is the style of construction- just what obstacles are likely to interfere with the work? Has a lot of work been done by unqualified folks already?
Then there is the presence -or absence- of 'services.' That is, is there a trash dumpster, working toilet, break room, parking lot, elevator, etc.....in addition to whether the power will be available during the job.
Access is a concern. Will the place be open for business during our work? Can we work "after hours?"

The last question is "who else will I be working with?" Depending upon the other trades involved, the job can be a dream....or a nightmare!

#158022 03/22/06 07:10 PM
Broom Pusher and
Depends on the parameters of the project (the type of project - New, Remodel, etc.).

My answers are bent towards Commercial / Industrial, which may be of no assistance to those in the Forum whom deal with Residential.

* Project - New Work / New Construction (unimproved lot):
Preliminary survey of site; looking for locations of Temp Power / Voice line, and best placement of Materials for Storage, overall ground conditions and related stuff.
Not very much needed to field verify on a completely new project.

* Project - Tenant Improvements, Additions and Remodels:
Prelim. survey of existing conditions regarding demolition and continuity of other Tenant spaces' Power + Comm., existing Electrical Equipment information (maker, ratings, distances, available space, location, etc.), amount of sawcutting involved, what needs to be matched to fit / look original, Asbestos abatement, existing systems and/or equipment to remain as-is, type of Building and Tenants, where to store Materials, how to keep Temp Power and Phone active + safe, are other Contractors "Work-with'able".

* Project - Service Upgrades:
The biggest challenge I face is a smooth and rapid "Change-Over" from the existing power system to the new one.
A typical example: upgrade of an 800 Amp 480Y/277V 3Ø 4 Wire Service, to a new 2,000 Amp 480Y/277V Service.
New Gear at a new location. New Service Feeders to PMT Vault. PoCo increases Transformer size (new Xfmr) and maybe the Primary Feeders.
Working together with everyone involved results in having a Meter set on the New Gear at the time of Transformer upgrade. Cutting everything over to the New Service takes place during this small time window.

The only preliminary site survey data which is helpful on these (for me) is to collect as many facts about what is "crucial" (i.e. Alarm systems, File Servers, Fax Servers, critical equipment, etc.) - and form a great game plan with the crew.

Is this of any help??? [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
#158023 04/03/06 02:03 AM
Broom Pusher and
***BUMP***

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
#158024 04/03/06 07:14 PM
L
LK Offline
Checking with the utility company, when load changes exist.

Part of planning may require, calling mark-out, if any underground work is required.

Checking with the building, and zoning department, may be required, before planning.

Checking the finincal condition of the customer.

Not everything to look at, is at the site.

#158025 06/22/06 01:55 PM
I
Along with the other good suggestions, I have one other important issue.

Lunch.

Where are the good local lunch spots.

Bob (only half kidding [Linked Image])

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#158026 06/23/06 04:50 PM
T
This mainly applies to residential, but is somewhat applicable to commercial as well. When doing main panel change-outs, I've learned to pull the cover on the existing panel and count the number of conductors entering the panel. I've bid a couple of jobs by looking at the number of breakers, only to find when I started the work that most of the breakers had two wires connected to them - and they weren't Square D load centers. Rather than terminating 15 circuits, I may actually be terminating 20 or 30. The cost of additional circuit breakers, plus the additional time of terminating the wires, adds up pretty quick.

Also, I've learned to carefully check to see how easy it will be to move existing circuits or install new ones - even if I have to climb in the attic or crawl under the house. Having an obstacle in your way could add several feet to each circuit run. Multiply that by 30 circuits and you could easily have several hundred feet of additional wire.

Kevin

Kevin

Link Copied to Clipboard