ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 468 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Huh, I wouldn't have though the mako were biting out that way. [Linked Image]

I love The Finger Lakes region. We used to vacation at a cousin's house on Conesus Lake years ago. Great fishing!
My six year old son is into nascar, and I am into pretty much anything but.
I do love road racing. We want to make it out there some time soon.

Speedy Petey

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
D
I'd send them a letter offering to come back and complete the job - for the agreed upon price (T&M). If they didn't want to do that, then I'd inform them that I was notifying the AHJ that from date "X" to the present, unauthorized work was being done by unqualified individuals under my tag and ask the AHJ to revoke the permit. I'd also ask for the reusable materials (temp lt's & GFCI's) to be returned within 10 business days (in good working condition) or else to be paid for.

Good luck. Don't you love folks that watch DIY shows and are now fully qualified? [Linked Image]

J
even if i had a contract, and the HO did work during that time, I would not like it at all.

I would definately call or write the people and let them know that I was refusing to sign for the work, and notify the AHJ.

At least where I live, only the permit puller can call for inspection.

K
kd Offline
The customer observed how I did a jobsite receptacle and connected one black and one white to all devices--switches included. It took me more time to un-do and re-do than it would have taken to do the finish. Another customer paid for the rough and then said they would do the finish. I mailed them a letter telling them that my insurance does not cover work done by others and told them to torque the recep screws to the proper pound-inches as recommended by the manufacturer- and check for cross hot-back feed connections on each breaker.

B
BOSSMAN Offline OP
I notified the inspector and he will have the owners file a new homeowners permit for the trim out.I just dont understand how someone would think they are saving money they take a good wiring job and put bad connections on the end of it, One of the jobs need to have the smoke dectors from the new addition tied into the exsistig smokes. that will never get done. & I will never go back to ther place.

S
I have had a few customers try this on me too. When I think a customer may do this to me, I get a few of the boxes with lots of wires in it and "accidentally" not connect a couple of wires....I just cap them off and hide them behind the other wires. I also mark these down on my note pad and when I come back to do the finished wiring, I correct these "mistakes". If they choose to do it themselves, they will have a fun time troubleshooting.

I've also used the # method that Bossman stated above, and have a cross-reference on my own note pad.

My contract states that any warranties for my work become void if anyone else other than me or my employees finish the work. This usually keeps the customer from considering doing their own work.

Sixer

"Will it be cheaper if I drill the holes for you?"
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard