ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#157660 12/18/05 08:31 AM
B
BOSSMAN Offline OP
Has anyone been haveing any problems with the customers finishing the trim outs.
I have had my last 3 jobs finished by the customers. Im getting pissed off, I wire to much on the roughin, like pigtailing every thing out and tapeing up the hots. and making up the panels and the customers have the idea that its easy to trim out and save money sense the jobs are T&M.But you know they dont know were the GFI are to go and they use the cheap box store outlets,& they dont know how to put the wire one the screws & if they use the screws the wire is bent the wrong way around.And do they think im going to warranty a job I dint finish whats wrong with the world today. If it works it must be OK. I had the first lady call me and ask why the micro wave doesn't work and i said because i haven't trimed out the job, So she bitched and hung up. I went over to the house Iwas a block away and she was putting in the plugs and lights.and I explained that the breaker wasn't in. And I left not even getting my temp LTs & gfis back. Wthat i would of just taken when i trimed the house out .Do i send a bill for my Misc. items?

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
W
I've had this happen to me. I knew there was an issue when the customer called me and asked what size baseboard heaters I was planning to install. Fortunately I made sure I was paid 90% by the end of the rough. I had a funny feeling.
Another time I had a homeowner finish a few small things in a garage and then call for the finish inpection! What ticked me off was that HE GOT IT!! I was ripped at the inspector but decided to let it go because you don't want to get on the wrong side of these guys.

Butch
M
I have seen instances where the customer wants a breakdown on rough-in and then a finish, I make them sign for all of it up front,get paid up front for all materials and in Minnesota they have to pull a seperate permit for there own work (another 80.00) I will let no one work on my permitted job. Contact your local inspector, they should be able to help protect against that, I understand how it is,A guy does a nice rough in and gets his bid gutted by a homeowner and his buddy (a retired electrician, they spend weeks pumping you for the information needed to finish the job.

S
I agree with mlk. NO one is working under my permit, especially a homeowner.

I do my rough-ins the same way, but I DO NOT make up the panels with breakers.
A trained monkee could device out one of my roughs.

Why are you guys doing new construction T&M. I can see doing T&M for a friend or relative, but for new residential work contract is the only way to go.
If a homeowner tried to pull that on me the first call would be to my inspector explaining what is going on and that NO ONE but me is to file for a final. If the H-O wants to drop me let them get their own inspection from scratch.

Speedy Petey

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
M
I so agree with speedy, all of the new construction that I do, I always get a signed contract.. it is with the builder not the homeowner, and the inspector will only get the call for the final from me...

p.s. speedy where in ny are you located??

S
I am about 100 miles N of the city.
From your name can I assume you are from LI?

Speedy Petey

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
C
NO ONE is allowed to work on my job unless I authorize it ~ it is MY insurance on the line. These HO's would have the permits immeadiately yanked, some hate mail from my atty, and a final bill for the job. Language to this effect IS incorporated into the contract that is signed - so when they get taken into court I have my documentation.

I would NOT "fear" the inspector by teling him a thing or two. I pulled the permit, it is my insurance and my livlyhood. I would be "pleasant" to the inspector, but firm...like the old Irish definition of dimplomacy: The art of telling someone to goto hell and having them look forward to the trip.

~~ CELTIC ~~
...-= NJ =-...
B
BOSSMAN Offline OP
The next roughin I have I will not finish the panel and I will use a # code on my wires instead of writing what the wire goes to. That will be fun for anyone else and I will not pigtail until the trim out.
But I will consider a contract Price the next time too.

L
LK Offline
The reason the inspector was not able to help you could be that you did not have a contract with the homeowner, there is very little he could do, In my state we are required to have a contract on all homeowner jobs, no T&M it is part of the consumer protection laws.

How do you get a permit without a contract.

M
speedy I am from watkins glen, finger lakes area..

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard