ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 261 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#157418 11/05/05 10:21 AM
B
We have grown seriously within the past 12 months and have increased our employees by 10. One is my sister who works in the office and the other is an electrician who worked for the company several years ago. Now the problems, the electrician shows up on time every day, never takes time off, will be on call when ever asked and work late if needed, is great with customers, his work quality is terrible even though he has been told and then warned several times to clean it up, it remains bad.
Now my sister, which is the big problem, her office skills aren't what they used to be and it's affecting the work of the other office personel as they have to spend time fixing her mistakes.
Some advice please. I will lay back on the couch as any of the psychologists out there gives advice.
PS I loved my mother.

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
#157419 11/05/05 01:18 PM
T
You left out a vital piece of information...What is your position in relation to them (aside from brother)?

Dave

#157420 11/05/05 01:36 PM
I
My suggestion for the guy who is always willing to work is simple.

Tell him he will receive some unpaid time off if he continues to ignore your request to bring his workmanship up.

Make this a part of your company policy, where I work unpaid time off is a definite possibility if someone breaks the rules.

On the other hand paid time off is given out to those that go above and beyond.

The sister, well,...I have four of them, would you like another? [Linked Image]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#157421 11/05/05 04:00 PM
S
Someone who shows up on time everyday is worthless if his work is bad.

With regards to the sister, treat her the same as any other employee. Would you tolerate the same performance from another employee ? If not then warn here about her performance and then fire her if she fails to improve, family or not.....

#157422 11/05/05 04:27 PM
S
Fire the electrician....Promote your sister.

#157423 11/05/05 06:16 PM
I'd fire the pair of them.
They both sound like a hinderance.

#157424 11/05/05 11:09 PM
J
I like the company policy of unpaid time off with formal write-ups and reviews etc. If the continual reminding and repremanding doesn't seem to work, but the reliablity and attitude are still intack, I wouldn't be too quick to fire him. Maybe you are asking him to to do something beyond his skill level. He might be having problems with concentrating or focusing. Before firing I would try demoting. Usually a morale buster, but if he just can't do what he's being asked, try asking less and paying accordingly. Or is there another position that might fit him better? Move him around if that is an option or put him under a guy that has good quality control. might have to cut pay if he's working under someone.

As for the sister.... her skills aren't what they used to be?? What did they used to be? Then, what dramatic changes have occured in her life since then? Alot of times personal problems can creap into work performance, and if she's working for her brother she might feel she can sluff off a little more on the days she just doesn't feel like it. I would guess it is either a personal issue with her or a lack of respect for her boss or the company. I am assuming since her skills aren't what they used to be that she actually had the skill at one time. If she just doesn't have the skill, that's another issue.

#157425 11/06/05 07:07 AM
B
Thank you all for the replies. Last year I moved my sister from Tenn. where she was an office manager to here in Mass. To let her go would be awful difficult although being in business for a long time I've had to do something almost as bad. As far as the other electrician goes although he has been a friend for some years I'm afraid the road is his next step as I'm sure he will land on his feet and find another job.

#157426 11/06/05 08:47 AM
E
"Bigventure" = big resposiblity! By the looks of things economically here in MA you should be able to find decent help pretty soon. Replace the guy. As for the sister business has to be business. I know that is harder for some to accept than others, like maybe your family but if she is dragging the business down it's time to cut her loose.

#157427 11/13/05 09:05 AM
B
Update,
Bad electrician has voluntary left the company and sister has taken to the idea that I'm boss during working hours and brother after work. Her production and skills have suddenly bloosmed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard