ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Any information on flat rate pricing would be as useless as "what is your hourly rate?". It will vary with anyones business and location with their costs per hour plus profit.

Dave

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
R
Tiger,
I'm not so sure.
The way I understand it, there are published flatrate quotebooks that take into account a variety of installation scenarios.
That is why I tried to be specific in my request for quotes.

T
hmmm ok. peace with all of you [Linked Image])
maybe i need to clear up things a little.And maybe i should have described the point more detailed.
Let's find a common denominator here.
the selling price is calculated by the break even per bible hr including all the expenses necessary to be paid to get the job done.
do we agree so far?
and of course a calculated profit.
To make it short .It includes all expenses-whatever they are and the profit.Which seems to be legitimate to me.

[This message has been edited by teraohm1 (edited 09-27-2005).]

L
LK Offline
"For example, what would be the cost of replacing a 20' section of deteriorated SE cable from the taps to the meter? "

If i find deteriorated SE cable, i charge almost as much as a service up grade, as soon as i remove the meter, i need an inspection, and i also have to bring up all the grounding, most of the time i find the meter is in an old socket with lugs ready to fall apart,now we need a meter pan, after years of hearing a customer say i just need a new piece of cable, i am still able to get a good laugh, what is not funny is the EC that will replace this piece of cable, and leave the rest a mess.

R
Guys,
Around here(PA), for various reasons (particularly real-estate re-rentals, some people call this CCO for "continued certificate of occupancy"), service cables are replaced at a township U&O inspectors request and the rest of the service is left alone.

BTW,
I remember the first time I tried it many years ago and could not even get the rusted SE connector apart.

My point is, I have heard some stories about the going rate for this particular job and I am curious as to whether or not it is true.
I understand that the flat rate price schedule is supposed to include almost any service call scenario.

[This message has been edited by Redsy (edited 09-27-2005).]

M
I have heard about guy's who change out a 100 amp service on a single story overhead charging flat rate $3,000. At those prices, I bet they break even. The thing is, I wonder if "Joe Homeowner" is going to ever call again, once he finds out the people next door paid $1,600 for the same thing.

T
mike
i am sure you do agree that we need to compare apples to apples.

R
OK, I'll admit it...

I think charging $585.00 to replace 3 receptacles with GFCIs is outrageous.
Last year, an elderly man approached me in the supply house and asked me about the job because he thought $585.00 was too high. When he declined, he was charged $40.00 for the estimate.
I understand we live in a capitalist society, but really, it just seems awful expensive to me.

T
well i don t have a problem with it,because them flatraters really do operate at the top level.
i think even for a flatrater $585 for 3 gfi is high,still depending what hrl rate they are operating at.
Due to that flatrate always assumes worst case scenario there a \re situations where it just doesn t work out that great,especially when it comes to smaller jobs,because the overhead for 3 gfi is very close to the one for a $ 5000 200A service.
and all that is ok i think.
Flatrating sure requires ethical standards and taking over older people is a fact not for flatrating but for every part of industry in the country.I mean i can take over every old person flatrate or T&M.The point is you just don t take over old people.

Cat Servant
I think we might be making this subject harder than it is.

You have to make the customer happy- that's all there is to it! As anyone who's been to aa auto shop knows, the way the bill is presented can turn a happy experience into a fit of paranoia, with everyone left miserable!

You look over a job, checking for differing complications. The you give the customer a price, which he accepts or declines...that's 'flat rate', as I see it.
Sure, there are "cheat sheets" that cover the most common jobs...but in the end, the result is the same. The customer is simply tols "I will do this for $XXX."

Contrast this to the "time and materials" method. The customer agrees to the job, without having any idea what his cost will be.
He gets your bill. The first thing is that he sees a charge for time over and above the time you were actually there. Parts run? Prep work in the shop? Padding the bill? He has no way of knowing.
He looks at the "materials" portion. %4 for a box he see at Home Depot for $.83. What's with that? And why did you get the $12 GFI instead of the $8 one?

Lets face it, a T & M bill can be very aggravating- unless there is a LOT of trust between the two of you.

With 'flat rate,' the job is done, the bill is for the expected amount, all is happy. That's why it works so well.

How you reach your particular price is a whole 'nother thing....

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard