ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 04:29 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 94 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#156456 05/06/05 11:46 AM
W
Just went out to price a job to hook up a new A/C unit for a HVAC contractor that I have worked with for years. I was to contact the "builder" and give him the price to hook up. Got to the house and found that this builder apparently had put in a panel or built a new wall such that the panel cover would not go on without cutting the side down about an inch which would put a portion of the cover in the wall and only two screws on the right side to secure it. Whoever had done the electrical remodel certainly wasn't an electrician. Anyway, I really don't like coming in behind someone like that because when I do hook up the unit, I will end up trying to get this thing back up to code. Obviously no permit was pulled and no inspection was done for the remodel. I shot the owner a high bid...and the problem is he took it. Dang the bad luck. Anyway, how do you guys handle this type of situation? I guess I could have just told him I didn't want to do it, but the HVAC Company is a good source of work for me and has been over the years since I started on my own. Looking forward to ya'lls input.

Bob

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
#156457 05/06/05 12:50 PM
D
Fix it all and add 30% higher than normal rate for the aggrevation.

If he doesn't go for it, I'd walk away.

Dnk........

#156458 05/09/05 05:20 AM
K
kd Offline
A lot of my work is repairing or tearing out work done by people who have lots of "confidence" but no training or skill.

#156459 05/09/05 05:19 PM
T
I know what you're going through. You bid the job, and they accept the bid. Now you have to do the work. Don't you wish they'd just send the check and forget about the work?

Dave

#156460 05/09/05 08:45 PM
Cat Servant
If it is your opinion that this was the work of some penny-pinching property manager, who just hired some unlicensed gypsy to circumvent the rules....pull it all out, take a permit, install it right....and charge him prime rate! Having to pay three times for the job might make him think twice the next time he takes a short cut.

As for your buddy the other contractor- explain to him that you put your butt on the line for no one, and that you are RUNNING away from such work, if you can't get it done right. For all you know, your buddy was the one taking the short-cuts.

It also is worth considering getting some money up front. You work for pay, not argument.

#156461 05/09/05 09:28 PM
J
I would try to stick only to your scope and don't touch anything else. I don't know of any code or law that requires we police what other people do (I may be wrong). If the local law allows, leave all permitting up to the owner/builder, make sure what you touch is done correctly, and if the panel is in violation, either give him a price to correct it, or leave the wires AC unhooked and tell him it needs to be corrected by the other contractor before it gets connected (return trip is extra),

#156462 05/10/05 07:48 AM
C
I just had an inspection fail because I did not correct something that a hack had done. I wired an addition and it was failed because someone had changed the panel to 200a and left it on 2/0 Al SE. The inspector said I had to fix it before he would pass the addition. Lesson: always check panel and insist on doing any necessary repairs. The strange thing is that it had a 200a meter base.

#156463 05/10/05 10:55 PM
T
Ever deal with a customer who wants to trim half his own house, hoping to whittle some cash off the bill?

Encountered that recently, that was kinda wierd.

#156464 05/12/05 07:33 PM
N
Talk to the local AHJ before starting the work. If possible have the inspector come out to the job site before starting todo what you gave a price to do. Then get permit forand do only what you gave a price to do. Let the GC take the hit for any others hack work. After the inspector writes up any other work give the GC a hefty price to fix it. Just make sure that any work you do is not part of any write up.
Most inspectors will work with you if you give them a heads up and let them see the hack work before you touch it. They will also let you know if and what they may require you to fix before passing your work.
Good Lck

ed
#156465 05/12/05 07:55 PM
G
Electrical work here in Colorado is loosing very hard.The GC's that require no license at all here can get your EC # and pull permits "If they even have too" and do the work themselves. I caught them... I will now charge min... 100.00 for a bid. and it WILL be added to the proposed price one way or another. This state has to get it together very fast !!! I can no longer take this... what the hell is licensing all about with no inforcement ! I am sick of this crap and will make a big stink of it all the way back to Seattle..."and name names and private inspection companies here"
Combo inspectors ??? icc ???? what a joke.... bunch of CRAP !!!!! If you are a REAL electrician reading this then you should be able to understand.

Venting Hard !, Gary

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard