ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
C
Celtic Offline OP
How you do you get new work/leads?
- An ad in the paper/yellow pages
- Word of mouth
- Sending letters to GC/builders and architects
- Flyers in doors(at say a newly built housing development)
- Other

I've recently moved/started up and need to get some work to get the ball rolling here.

Thanks !

~~ CELTIC ~~
...-= NJ =-...
Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
J
Celtic, I am in the same boat as you. Let me say that I spent alot of money running ads in some local papers. I got two lousy calls. I have an existing ad with my business card running for three months in a publication that comes out every month is mostly just ads, it is a free thing you can find in all the stores around here. It's been out one month already with my ad, I haven't had one lousy call. The other paper I ran two ads in with bold black print. I did have two lousy calls and one was someone who wanted to know if I knew where she could find an apartment size washer and dryer cause none of the appliance stores had any. Don't ask me why she chose to call me. I would say, YELLOW PAGES, PHONE BOOK ad is the best way to go. My new phonebook ad comes out in May-June. I also am trying to get some professional business postcards done up to send to targeted business for work. I am also considering having some of them professional signs made up similiar to political signs and stick them in busy intersections.

Hope I helped. I think the phone book is probably the best way to go.

Jeff

D
The subject is Marketing, Celtic. We'd all do well to do a lot of reading, or consulting on it. It's not very much like electrical work. A large part of it is "having your name out there", or "name recognition". It's about having a presence in the marketplace so people think of you when they need an electrician. We want our advertising to pull in calls, but it's not just about getting calls. From what I've read you can expect to pay $50-$100 per call with advertising.

Part of our job is to turn those few calls into "customers for life". It might mean getting a lady's phone number, finding that laundry equiptment online, and calling her back. Then when she needs an electrician she'll remember the great service you gave her, or tell her friends.

It's especially important to hang onto those good customers we already have. They don't cost anything in advertising, and may help us with referrals.

Dave

A
It might help when putting an ad in the local paper to make it a coupon instead of just an ad. Something like $20 off. It would also be easier to track where they got your number. You could have different coupons in different papers and see which ones get the best response.
In a phone book ad you could say that you honor your competitors coupons.

A
Here's a link to a free download of 50 marketing tips. http://www.serviceroundtable.com/freebies/FreebiesDetails.asp?PCID=118

[This message has been edited by A-Line (edited 03-13-2005).]

R
I have a really great book on this subject called "guerilla marketing" look it up on amazon it is all about advertising on a budget and thinking outside the box so to speak.

It does not matter if you win or lose but how you lay the blame :-)

Link Copied to Clipboard