ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
2 members (ampherder, Scott35), 259 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#155727 02/04/05 12:30 AM
D
I worked for someone like that a few years ago (cute as a button)...gave up $1,000 in work...she refused to pay...she threatened to have my license pulled (not so cute any more)...I put a lien on her property...she went bankrupt...I didn't get a dime.

Dave

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
#155728 02/04/05 03:15 AM
M
My advise is next time set up a temp pole with gfi outlets and do not energize anything in the house until every single last device,plate and light has been installed and you have had your final. You will be surprised how the owner will then make sure everything is prepared and ready as soon as possible for you. When this route isn't followed sometimes an owner will drag the job out forever by shopping for only a few fixtures at a time. Another thing- insist that you will hang no light fixture unless the lamp is provided at the same time as the fixture.

#155729 02/04/05 09:20 AM
M
Hi,
Thanks for the replies. There has always been temp power at the pole. I put in temp lights and power at the house FREE. This is a two story house. I paid for the wire, lights, outlets, labor etc.

I asked here if she wanted temp lighting since it was winter and i figured they would do a lot of work at night etc. She did not want it. I put it in anyway so I could work at night.

I also put in two outlets one up and one down.

I removed this temp lighting and outlets just before the sheetrock went up.

I got an e-mail the VERY next DAY!

"THE LIGHTS ARE GONE AND THE OUTLETS DO NOT WORK! WHEN WILL WE HAVE POWER AGAIN?"

I told her I would get something going as soon as the sheetrock was finished.

I think a guy should be PAID for ANY WORK.

Regards

Greg

#155730 02/04/05 07:11 PM
M
Hi,
Well the SXXT has hit the fan now! I decided to stop working for free and I sent this gal a bill for $270 for driving 60 miles and spending 5 hours to connect a heater ahead of schedule so the paint could dry!

Now I am a sorry sob!

She says I should have told her that this was not part of the original agreement and that had she known that I was going to CHARGE FOR WORK that she would have done something else. Says shes paid me when I needed to be paid and she just doesnt see why she should have to pay me for this.

I finally got tired of arguing and just told her not to worry about it.

The only problem is that now she is at the bottom of my schedule and will probably hang there till after turkey season!

Heck the cabinets are three weeks out anyway and all of them have undercabinet pucks!

You just never know what is around the next bend in this business.

I know I was tired of being harrassed and begging for and negotiating my fees!

If i didnt love electrical work so much I would drive across the arkansas river bridge and throw my tools into the bottom of the river! The problem is that I love it so much that I will work for free apparently!

I need a good 3 or 4 day fishing trip!

Regards

Greg

#155731 02/05/05 01:39 AM
B
brother keep your chin up! I deal with commercial clients and genereal contractors only. I have to deal with the constant beatings and naggings, and "whippings" just to make them happy. Luckily I have friends in various trades that own their business and seek their advise. I have this one Project Manager for a GC that just lives to whip me on my pricing. I always look forward to his calls because when I notice who is calling it reminds me to call my wife and tell her that we will not be able to put franks in our mac and cheese that night! So keep your chin up and don't let a "cute as a BUTT-on" dictate to you, unless you can really negotiate a good compromise!

Buck
#155732 02/08/05 12:52 AM
B
This isn't in HS village is it?

#155733 02/08/05 09:43 PM
N
Next time she calls tell her you are working on an urgent project for a paying customer.
Then inform her that you will get back to her when 1) she has paid up what she owes to date, 2) when the job is completely ready foryou and 3)when you get the time.

ed
#155734 02/09/05 12:18 PM
K
kd Offline
When I finish the rough, I have my helper put temporary bulbs in every light outlet, wire nut every standard switch, and put 3-way temporary ugly switches(painted/mudded) at all switch outlets. I also install a couple of GFCI outlets for use around the house. The GC can turn on the breakers to get light and power. I like to make sure that everything works before sheetrock. I get lots of compliments and return business because this saves time for the other trades.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard