ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
S
I got that nice proposal from mike holt.
can that serve as a contract? i'm just wiring a house.

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
D
From the looks of it, the Mike Holt .doc is a proposal until it's signed by the owner.

Once it is, then it's a contract.

BTW, you're never "just" in this business. Lots of folks have gotten screwed "just wiring houses", or "just on a service call". It's all a potential trap - "CYA" is always in effect.

Glad you've gotten something in writing!

D
Some proposals are titled "Contract Proposal", which would be a little more clear. You are proposing to work for payment, and when they sign they are agreeing to it.

As you're new to this be very careful how you write your proposal. I'd avoid phrases like "wire your house". Be very specific in what you're installing where, and in what quantities. I write out quantities (five) so a 5 can't be turned into a 15 or 25. I should have a sticker to put on proposals that says something like, "Unless specifically written, repair or replacement of non-professional wiring is NOT part of this contract. You never know what you'll run into.

Good Luck!

Dave

D
One thought on this.

Depending upon what state you are in, a signed contract can be cancelled after it is signed, for up to 3 days.
There are some excemptions to this, such as an emergency, but some states cide with consumers on the ability to cancell work contracts. Even if deposits were made.

Before you think you have a contract and the deposit money is yours, you may want to check with the state you are in for guidelines for this. Some accountants or lawyers may also provide guidance to this.

K
kd Offline
My contract says proposal and contract at the top-when signed it becomes a contract. But it is only as good as the person who signs it. The customer can always just not pay. Then what do you do? Some people could care less about liens on their property. You have to just wait for re-financing, sale, or death, unless you want ot spend mucho time and $ to perfect the lien and take the property to Sheriff's sale.

Link Copied to Clipboard