ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#155510 01/09/05 08:41 PM
B
I am trying to figure out what the requirments for licensing in the state of Ohio. I have searched the Ohio dept of commerce website and even e-mailed them. No response. My city and county does not have inspection except for some commercial work. I have been a jouneyman electrician for 20+ years and I do small electrical jobs on the side. I just would like to make sure I am doing it legal.

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
M
it's been a couple years but i think you have to have 5 years construction experience,clean criminal record(no fraud or theft charges),and pay a registration fee.then if they approve you its another fee and a 4 hour electrical test and 1 hour bussiness and law test.

S
bfdpoc221
I am trying to figure out what the requirments for licensing in the state of Ohio.

Hope this answers your question.

Ohio Construction Industry Examining Board(OCILB)
Summary of Questions Below

How do I obtain a State of Ohio License?
Which specific trades or fields does OCILB license?
Do you require an examination for general contractors and where are they licensed?
Do you reciprocate with other states?
How often must I submit proof of continuing education and how many hours are required?
When and where must I display my license(s)?

1. How do I obtain a State of Ohio License? Applicants must meet the following requirements:
Be at least 18 years of age.
Be a United States citizen.
Be of good moral character (with no felony convictions).
Have 5 years of contracting experience in the specific and relevant field immediately preceding an application to take the examination. For experience you must meet one of the following:
(a) Be a tradesperson with at least 5 years of experience immediately prior to the date the application is filed , or
(b) Be an engineer with at least 3 years of business experience, or
(c) Be an individual with at least 5 years of business experience in the appropriate field.
Pass the examination in the field.
Pay the applicable fees.

2. Which specific trades or fields does OCILB license? Electrical, HVAC, Hydronics, Plumbing and Refrigeration.
3. Do you require an examination for general contractors and where are they licensed? We do not have an examination for general contractors. General contractors need to contact the city or county for licensing.
4. Do you reciprocate with other states? Currently, the only agreements that are in effect are for electrical contractors with the States of Kentucky
and West Virginia.
5. How often must I submit proof of continuing education and how many hours are required? Proof of 10 hours of continuing education from an approved training agency must be submitted each year for all trades. The 10 hours may be in ANY approved course for HVAC, Hydronics, Plumbing and Refrigeration. Electrical MUST have at least 5 hours of code each year.
6. When and where must you display your license(s) Effective September 17, 2002 contracting speciality license(s) must be displayed (I.E., all company vehicles that display the name of the company as advertisement, each location of business, construction projects, business cards, telephone directory, advertisement and promotional materials.

A. At least 2 (two) inches in height;
B.Be displayed on at least two areas of the vehicle;
C. Shall be displayed as OH Lic. # -----.

Here is a link to the Department of Commerce web page with this information and other FAQs: http://www.com.state.oh.us/dic/dicfaq.htm

Here is the main link to the the OCILB: http://www.com.state.oh.us/dic/dicocilb.htm

Good Luck! [Linked Image]

P.S. I hope you were not one of the unfortunate pepole in Bucyrus without electric service for several days after last weeks ice storm. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by safetygem (edited 01-10-2005).]

H
I just passed the ohio Contractors test in June. Passed the first time. You can email me for how I prepared for it.

Link Copied to Clipboard