ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 298 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#155178 12/08/04 09:50 PM
B
bot540 Offline OP
This hasn't happened to me yet, but if it does I will be calling the labor board here in Illinois. I understand he doesn't want to pay for our mistakes but like most of you said their should be an award incentive. All employers should relize that no one can screw you worse than your employes and when you take care of them they take care of you.

Jesus may have been a capenter,but God was an electrician.Genesis1:3
Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
#155179 12/08/04 09:55 PM
E
Mustang, If ya'll have so many extra qualified electricians in Arkansas, I wish you'd send some to Georgia. We can't find any really good leads or helpers(new hires, we like the ones we already have) . The good ones seem to have jobs and hold on to them. We're willing to pay top rates for top help, but they don't apply.

As for our policy on paper work and the do it on your own time. It was a suggestion by an employee at our weekly meeting and all agreed. We also haven't had the need to enforce it yet, it seems to have provided the motivation to get it done.

As for the law on wages. As long as the employees wages average out to more than minimum wage including time and a half for overtime no law has been broken. That said, I do agree that you can't back charge an employee for materials or charge them for having someone else make corrections.

#155180 12/08/04 10:26 PM
I
As for the law on wages. As long as the employees wages average out to more than minimum wage including time and a half for overtime no law has been broken.

That would not work in this area, you would not have any employees.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#155181 12/08/04 10:38 PM
S
It sounds like this particular boss is 180 degrees out-of-phase!

I would have a severe arc fault if someone tried to pull that kind of garbage on me. Indeed, bot540, a disgruntled employee can cost the company many, many, many times over.

No wire bias here- I'm standing on neutral ground.
#155182 12/09/04 01:03 AM
A
I use a flat rate pricing system so if the book says a job will take 6 hours but the technician completes it in 4 hours the customer is still billed the same amount. The 2 extra hours of time would go to the technician. At the end of the week he would have physical hours worked and the extra billable hours. Any call-back time could be taken from the extra billable hours.

Payroll Example: The tech. physically worked 40 hours during a given week, but he billed our customers a total of 49 hours while performing 27 service calls. He would receive pay for the 49 billable hours. In addition he would receive travel time equal to thirty minutes multiplied by 27 service calls for a total of 13.50 hours. This gives him a total of 62.50 hours of payroll time.
He had 2 call-backs this week at 2 hours each for a total of 4 call-back hours. These 4 call-back hours would be deducted from the 9 extra billable hours that he had earned for the week. This would reduce his billable hours to 45 hours. His new total payroll hours would equal 58.50 hours.
He would be paid straight time for 40 hours and overtime for 18.50 hours.

I'm not currently doing this but is something I am looking into.
What do you guys think?

#155183 12/09/04 05:31 AM
I
This gives him a total of 62.50 hours of payroll time.
He had 2 call-backs this week at 2 hours each for a total of 4 call-back hours. These 4 call-back hours would be deducted from the 9 extra billable hours that he had earned for the week. This would reduce his billable hours to 45 hours. His new total payroll hours would equal 58.50 hours.
He would be paid straight time for 40 hours and overtime for 18.50 hours.

I'm not currently doing this but is something I am looking into.
What do you guys think?

I would go work for someone else. [Linked Image]

I have no interest in being an assembly line worker. [Linked Image]

Pay me for the hours worked, no more no less. [Linked Image]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#155184 12/09/04 01:02 PM
A
Iwire,

You are getting paid for all the hours you work. The other hours are bonus hours you earned because you completed the job quicker than what was billed for. You will never get paid for less hours than you actually worked. This rewards you for being more efficient. I can understand not wanting to be paid for less hours than you actually work but why would you not want to get paid for more hours than you actually work. Don't you like bonuses? The way you work is not going to change. The standard way of paying you would only get paid for actual hours worked. This way you always get paid for actual hours worked plus you earn extra when you complete the job in less time than what was billed to the customer. If you take longer to do the job than what was billed to the customer you will still get paid for all of your time you worked. I don't see how you could lose with this situation.
If the job took you 6 hours but the book shows 4 hours you would get paid for 6 hours even though the customer was billed for only 4 hours. If the job took you 2 hours your would get paid for 4 hours.
[This message has been edited by A-Line (edited 12-09-2004).]

#155185 12/09/04 01:24 PM
N
Ok so let look at it this way;

I work a 40 hour week all jobs down as to spec time wise.

How ever i had 3 return calls each requiring 2 hours.

How are you handling this, would i still get my 40 or would i lose out do to the call backs?

#155186 12/09/04 04:03 PM
A
You would never be docked for actual hours worked only for bonus hours earned. So if you actually worked 40 hours that week and 2 of those hours were call back hours you would still get paid for 40 hours. You would only get call back time deducted from bonus hours never hours actually worked. If you get call backs and don't have any bonus hours to deduct from that week then no deduction would occur. Another way to handle this would be to foward the 2 hour call back debit to another week in the future when you do have bonus hours earned. In other words if you didn't earn bonus hours this week but had 2 hours of callback time and next week you earned 4 hours of bonus hours then the 2 hours of callback time from the previous week could be deducted from this weeks bonus hours leaving you with 2 bonus hours earned.
No matter what happens you will always get paid for any hours you actually worked.
So the simple answer is yes you would get paid for 40 hours.

#155187 12/09/04 04:52 PM
N
Sounds like a good deal my only thing would be i would only do week for week i would not carry the deduction over to another week. Other then that are you hiring???????LOL

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard