ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 277 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#154728 11/14/04 01:52 PM
S
hey just started my own contracting business with th ehelp of my partner. so the question is how to we get bussiness we allready have our niche that we want to cater to

which is low end rentals and the remodeling market we did research and believe thatthis field will give us a lot of work jsut thatwe are having a hard time lining up the work all and any advise will be appericated

thanks

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
#154729 11/14/04 02:37 PM
A
Best of luck with the business.
Now,I hate to rain on your parade and I don't know how the slumlords are out your way but around VT/NH you want to avoid these folks.Lots of reasons why.
1. They don't want to part with the money.(want to cut corners/spend little as possible/don't pay)
2. They change EC's constantly
3. Crummy working locations (dirty/ high theft etc.)The EC by me that does a lot of these jobs has a high employee turnover.
A lot of these folks here don't even hire EC's they have their "building super"sneak doing the work.
Maybe it will be different for you but IMHO I would go another direction.

[This message has been edited by andyp95 (edited 11-14-2004).]

#154730 11/14/04 03:17 PM
D
I'd also think that slumlords would be very reluctant to part with money for repairs, or payment of your invoices. An exception may be if they have a corporate office you could deal with instead of the local manager. My btother-in-law has a cleaning business & the local office wasn't paying, but he gets his pay from the corporate office now & it's working well for him.

I've had a remodeling business for 10 years as a remodeler, and ten more as an electrician in residential electrical (recently some profitable commercial work). The upside of remodeling for Mom & Pop is a check when you pack up your tools. It's much easier to keep the business going when the cash flows.

Sixty to ninety days can be a killer until you get a big fat bank account.

Dave

#154731 11/15/04 06:38 PM
E
I have worked for "Slumlords". There is a reason their properties are "Slums". MONEY. They have it and don't like to spend it. You won't convince them otherwise. I did a bunch of HUD jobs in some nasty places. I look back at it as part of my climb up the contracting ladder. I have past that part of the ladder and do not wish to return. My point is the work is crap and chasing the money stinks.

#154732 11/15/04 06:55 PM
A
Best of luck to you but I too would say stay away from the slum lords. You might see some outdated desasters you don't want your name on making a service call. And yes I have had trouble getting paid too. But they still call. "Nope, were booked up for 6 months".

Socializing with many and different people can bring up a lot of good leads.

Tom

Link Copied to Clipboard