ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#154710 11/30/04 09:14 PM
J
hi ive been doing electrical work for a litttle over 4 years .ever since i graduated high school in 2000 started out working for a contractor now im an electrician for a house boat company. want to go back to working for a contractor .my goal is to eventually go out on my own.

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
#154711 11/30/04 10:18 PM
M
Ive been doing electrical work since 1997 working for a big commercial company (Berg Electric) in San Diego, Calif. I like the work but its hard raising a kid on work that comes and goes...Im looking at moving to North Carolina and continuing my electrical education and getting out of slingin tools. I have a 2 year old boy and he's kind of a priority...most of the time I stay home and my better half works with disabled children.
I had a good run for bout 5 years then work slowed, I get side work here and there...Im 41.

#154712 12/02/04 10:32 AM
Good Call Dave!,
Man did this thread pick up some new people or what?!.
Welcome all!. [Linked Image]
Sorry to come in so late on this.
I'm a registered Electrician (Foreman) and also a registered Line-Mechanic from New Zealand.
I'm currently working as a Faultsman for the local Lines Company (PoCo).

#154713 04/14/05 11:52 PM
D
Dave55 Offline OP
Bump for some of the new guys

Dave

#154714 04/15/05 03:05 PM
R
Hello all, i am a one man shop and just getting started in the busness.I work out of my home, and also work a full time job.I have had my license for 10 years and need to put it to use.Hoping to get into the residential service end of the busness and to do commercial electrical maintanence.I just want to say thanks to everyone who posts on the site, you have all helped me out alot by sharing your knowlege.I hope i can post some good info as soon as i get the business going.Thanks,Bill

#154715 04/15/05 03:55 PM
H
Howdy I'll get in on this, I'm a one man show myself and like a lot of the other's here it seems I myself got my Masters and Contractors License in 1995 at same time. I got mine out of need for some extra cash at the time, was having a slow time on the overtime at reg. job and needed to pay the taxes. I did the military but was only a grunt, no trade exsperience there at all. I've worked on Tuna boats in San Diego, been a Rough Neck on oil/gas Drilling rigs in Texas and Colorado, and went to College for Electrical Eng. in 2nd year of College in one of them huge auditoriums full of people the Electric Utility came and gave a recruitment speech, seems like to stared and talked his whole spill to me and 3 months later I was starting out with them at the bottom of the pole with a shovel on a Line Crew, transfered into the Substations Dept. where we also in the early days worked in the power plants beside the substation's along with doing work in companys office Facilities, we also did the telcommunications sites, but as time went on and all the different parts of the company became there own seperate company's (long corperate BS story) I only worked in the Substations anymore and still seported the elec. generating Hydro's (power plants) so in the substations I worked on not just high voltage's 4kv,13k,25kv,69kv,115kv,138kv,230kv,345kv but on control and protective relaying, well anyhow I did 25 years in the Electric Utility field only out of it because of a motorcycle accident I had 4 years ago and kinda messed my legg up, so it not safe for me to climb on steel or large circuit breakers due to I could fall and get injured on the job(then be a comp.thing on them) so I'm on a semi early medical retirement. but as for my Electrical Contracting thats my bussiness if I fall off a ladder. So in the past 10 years I have remodeled a few small stores, lots of remodel work and wired several new homes, allthough after my accident I did have to stop doing that beings I was layed up for several months, and then I really didnt want to work all the time any more night and weekends. But now I have all the time I want, owe nothing, house payed for etc. So you could say starting out all over again getting back into touch with the contractors that I used to work with etc. not really in a Hurry, and want to get my estimating skills better, I know I was allways underbidding a bit before(not on Purpose i'll mention) so I glad I found this site to read all the post. bye the way my name is Pete

#154716 04/15/05 05:27 PM
T
tkb Offline
Just me and an apprentice right now.
I started as an apprentice in 1974 and have been doing industrial and commercial ever since. 24 years in the field and about 6 in the office managing projects for a couple of large MA EC's.
I'm a licensed master in MA, CT, and RI
I started my own business last spring. I would like enough steady work to get up to about 6 guys.

#154717 04/17/05 07:19 AM
R
Great thread to get to know everyone. I have only found this forum recently and find it informative and even fun sometimes. I am a one man shop located in North Carolina. I have been in the electrical business since 1980. I have worked as an apprentice, journeyman, estimator, foreman, and division manager. I decided late last year that I wanted to do this thing for myself and started out on my own in January. I have held my State Electrical Contractors License for a number ov years but have never really put it to use as either a qualified individual or a business owner. I am comfortable with the progress I am making in starting a new business. Patience is the key I think. I am primarily a residential guy but have worked in the commercial field as well. I am not and do not aspire to become an industrial electrician. I think that sticking with what you know and do it well is the best approach. Anyway, nice to chat with yall and best of luck to everyone.

#154718 12/17/05 09:15 PM
J
Great idea Dave.
Two man/ one truck. Started in 1986. Started my own business in 1996. Have my masters and my security license. Still diggin it.
Jim

#154719 12/18/05 09:02 AM
M
I own a one man shop in Minnesota,Hold my Minnesota Masters, by day I work for a state hospital (The old asylum) Want to talk about some spooky stuff down in those tunnels! I average two to three small jobs a week,weekends,I have a good friend that owns a large shop so we refer jobs back and forth. Plan on going on my own this spring.Wish me luck! Wish you all Happy holidays and a profitable New Year!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard