ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
Recent Posts
2023 CEU Course
by gfretwell - 07/17/24 01:08 AM
Is this really a thing
by dsk - 07/16/24 01:23 PM
90.5(C) Explanatory Material 2023
by gfretwell - 07/16/24 12:14 PM
Hello... again!
by Bill Addiss - 07/15/24 07:14 PM
Counterfeit Code Books?
by Comprehensiveedu - 07/12/24 12:16 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 162 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#154282 01/04/05 07:53 PM
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 6
Junior Member
When using single-station devices (and multiple-station) in dwelling
units designed for hearing impaired, how can I accomplish visual
signaling in a bathroom or kitchen? The smoke/strobe device is not
suitable for those environments.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#154283 01/05/05 02:25 AM
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 939
ok for the visual waring devices,

in kitchen area i wondering if you can mounted on the wall or ceiling area near the kitchen where you have open space area without any objects prevent the light flashing around the area and i will suggest to use the relay kit but for one thing i am not sure what type of manufacter you are using it either Kiddie or Firetech [ hope the spelling is right ] or the other one one of the three company and you can run it remote [separted from main smoke alarm] in diffrent location and bathroom i am sure the remote will work but check with the AHJ for the specs. [ they might have a idea with it ]

myself i hard of hearing so i can get a idea how it can set up main thing you want to put it near center of the room if possible and the other thing becarefull with picking the strobe light instensy level they do come in few diffrent strenth [ brightness] so check it out and get brightest one i think over 75 or more cd [instendy] you may have to check the catalog book for more info with it

hope it help

Merci, Marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

#154284 01/05/05 10:20 AM
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 6
Junior Member

Locating a smoke detector near a kitchen or bathroom is going to result in false alarms. So, I'm trying to locate a notification only device (no detector).

There are walls around the kitch and bathroom, so the smoke alarm in the hallway is not visible.

The smoke alarm companies have multiple-station smoke alarms, but no strobe lights.

Without the presence of this kind of product, I'm trying to find out how people in this industry have accomplished visual signaling?

#154285 01/05/05 10:14 PM
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 939
ok i will suggest try this website i found few of them but i am not sure if that suited to your needs:

Simplex Grinnel

Kidde Resdentinal and Commercal

Reliable Fire equmpient

that what i know of for now but i will dig up more info if you request it.

keep in mind there are few diffrent version of smoke/fire alarm types so you may have to dig around a little

in Kitchen/Bathroom area i really recomond to use the photoelectric eyes they will handle pretty good with that everment for other area use the other type i am not sure how it called like izonation type i think if i get the word right.

It is not bad idea to wire up a remote lighting device to work with smoke alarm but make sure you have a relay kit for it

Merci, marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

#154286 02/12/05 09:57 PM
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 25
you may want to check with someone who stocks "firex" brand smoke detectors. I beleve they have a kit for adding remote visual devices to their smoke detectors.

#154287 04/07/05 04:44 PM
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 5
Junior Member
You may wish to install a thumper, which vibrates, visually impaired people can feel the pulses.

Can't find your shorts call me.
#154288 12/03/05 02:14 PM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 56
Most manufactures provide a fire strobe. This is a unit that provides both the strobe and the audible signal. I am sure they are available in both wall and ceiling mounted units.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5