ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 468 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Mark, ask and ye shall receive. [Linked Image]

[Linked Image from access-board.gov]

Figure 6(c)
Maximum Side Reach over Obstruction

If the depth of the obstruction is 24 inches (610 mm) and the maximum height of the obstruction is 34 inches (865 mm), the maximum high side reach over the obstruction is 46 inches (1170).

Mark you can access this info below.

Click Here for the ADA

Roger

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

E
Roger,

Nice use of UBB code and online material!!
[Linked Image]

Al Hildenbrand
E
e57 Offline OP
Roger, You are Prince! Thank you so much, due to my book buying freeze, I used to go to the bookstore to look it up, or library. And I have tried searches for this stuff before, and all I get is places where I could buy the book. (Not everything is easy to find on this all seeing internet of the new century)

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
R
Thanks Al, Mark, I don't think the term "Prince" would apply, but you are welcome.

Roger

S
To E57
The CA recep and switch heights are in the California Electrical Code, which probably doesn't see it's way to many places besides an inspectors office.
There are no provisions for the 54 inch side reach to apply here. You might be able to make a reasoned argument to the AHJ to consider it in granting a variance or exception. For multifamily the reach over the counter is specified. I need more time to summarize the reg's here. Ask your inspector to see a copy .
Larry LeVOirCity of Irvine
210-7(g) and (g.1)
380-8(c) and (c.1)

Larry LeVoir
Inspector
City of Irvine, CA
R
Larry welcome to the forum. How (or) does CA. work with the ADA, ICC, or ANSI to come up with their handicap codes?

I personaly think the forward reach covers the worst case scenario.

Roger

R
Larry brings up a good point. I didn't get into this thread because I don't know the California building code. The ANSI A117.1-98 is a standard that many, many states use, including my own. It also does not recognize the 54" unubstructed side reach, except for in existing buildings (in order to comply with the ADAAG). I agree with Roger, I would just keep things between 15" and 48".

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
S
Rodger - Thank You

quote"How (or) does CA. work with the ADA, ICC, or ANSI to come up with their handicap codes?
I personaly think the forward reach covers the worst case scenario."

California had disabled access provisions before ADA was enacted. Much of ADA ( I am told) was based on what CA was already doing. We have been told we do not enforce ADA, because our reg's meet or exceed. Just like CAL/OSHA does. CA has it's own provisions as to bringing existing occupancies into compliance. Aytime a TI (teneat improvement) permit is apllied for the plans must address upgrade of bathrooms and path of travel outside to parking lot. Nothing is done to upgrade existing electrical unless it is in the bathrooms or a complicated formula is satisfied to bring the rest of the building into compliance. ALL new electrical has to be at the current min/max heights even if the existing doesn't match.
The ICC is amended by the state into the Californis Building Code and disabled access provisions are amended to concur with state reg's. The electrical portion is pretty minor compared to the problems the building inspectors run into in providing equal access to eating and dining establishments.

I don't have any info on how we relate to ANSI.

Larry LeVoir
Inspector
City of Irvine, CA
P
sandsnow,
better check your code book again.i use the 1997 u.b.c. with california amendments(2001 c.b.c.).is irvine using the icc?

E
e57 Offline OP
Ya know I thought this thread died a while back, and truthfuly I'm glad its still going. I went down to the bookstore/library, and checked out a book called CARM http://www.buildersbooksource.com/cgi-bin/booksite/20025.html
And it did not have the 54" hieght for foward reach, but did have the 48" and 15" hieghts, and side reach over obstical hieghts at 46". So now maybe there is a common sense question it did not answer... What is that measurement to? Top, bottom, CL? Assuming the 48" is a maximum, that would be 46" CL, and likewise with 15" as a minimum that would be 17" CL. And with 46" as a max, it would be 44" CL. Or am I mistaken? Other wise half of the device would be above or below these dimensions, right?

Sandsnow, like I said, I am on a book buying freeze at the moment, and didn't want to pull the wrapper off the T-24 chapter three, or pay $120 for it. (especially as there will be a new one effective 10/01/05) Would have been nice for them to publish the suppliments to the NEC here: http://www.bsc.ca.gov/title_24/t24_2001tried.html#PageTop
Simular to what our city does: And post what they added to the CEC. http://gcp.esub.net/cgi-bin/om_isap...nfran.nfo&softpage=browse_frame_pg42

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard