ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat Box
Recent Posts
From an outsider- How does tipping work?
by gfretwell - 12/02/20 02:38 PM
Happy Thanksgiving
by Trumpy - 12/02/20 04:11 AM
Where is Everyone?
by Trumpy - 12/02/20 03:51 AM
What does your work place look like?
by Trumpy - 12/02/20 03:42 AM
Ground fault remover :-)
by dsk - 11/30/20 03:51 AM
New in the Gallery:
Facebook follies, bad wiring
FPE in Germany pt.2
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 23 guests, and 11 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Panels in public hallway? #154066 02/22/04 10:05 PM
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 41
rknikko Offline OP
Can I move the existing panels from the basement to the ground level public hallway in a 2 family house. I'm doing this because I am moving the existing meters from the basement to the outside of the house? Normally, the panel will be in the tenant's unit, but in this case I am not sure whether it can be installed in the hallway or not. Please help. Thank you.

Building Codes & Related References
Re: Panels in public hallway? #154067 02/22/04 10:11 PM
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,374
Ryan_J Offline
I don't see any reason why not. You should be fine. [Linked Image]

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
Re: Panels in public hallway? #154068 02/22/04 10:43 PM
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 25
dlabrenz Offline
You may want to check and make shure that this is not a 1 hour rated wall. If it is, you will not be able to mount this panel in the wall. If it isn't rated, then I don't see a problem.

Re: Panels in public hallway? #154069 02/22/04 10:49 PM
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 41
rknikko Offline OP
What is a 1 hour rated wall? How can I tell?

Re: Panels in public hallway? #154070 02/23/04 01:57 PM
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 751
earlydean Offline
You can tell because the sheetrock (Gypsum wallboard) will be type X, and usually two layers. Type X has a different shade to it, somewhat darker than non fire rated sheetrock. In a two family, so long as you stay away from the wall that separates the two apartments, you should be OK. If it is, you can still manage by boxing your panels in with a rated partition. Remember to seal all penetrations with rated fire/draft caulk.


Re: Panels in public hallway? #154071 02/23/04 03:21 PM
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 1,716
Roger Offline
Don't take this the wrong way, but are you permitting this work?

Being that this is a "public" building or atleast not just your residence, you should have this work performed by a licensed electrical contractor.

You did not list your occupation in your profile.


Re: Panels in public hallway? #154072 02/29/04 03:43 PM
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 4,286
electure Offline
Look at the plans to find rated walls.
Not just at the "E" sheets.
Try the "A" sheets. Very often I've found discrepancies between the "E" and "A" sheets.
BTW, in court, it will be the "A" sheets (reflected ceiling plan) that take precedence...S

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 02-29-2004).]


2020 National Electrical Code
2020 National Electrical
Code (NEC)

* * * * * * *

2020 Master Electrician Exam Preparation Combos
2020 NEC Electrician
Exam Prep Combos:
Master / Journeyman


Member Spotlight
Posts: 264
Joined: February 2013
Show All Member Profiles 
Top Posters(30 Days)
Trumpy 20
Popular Topics(Views)
272,206 Are you busy
206,091 Re: Forum
194,097 Need opinion
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3