ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 394 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
My situation exists in a 4 or 5 county area. However I do work for an EC in Roger's state of NC( Less than 2 mi. from here)and,as he says, things are drastically different. But a GOOD different.

Russell

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Now, is completion of a Building a Bank-Related or a Safety issue?

I'm thinking it's a Safety related issue mainly (except for the landscaping part). Why (supposedly) do areas require certificate of compliance / Occupancy?

Bill

Bill
P
I've never heard of anything like a certificate of occupancy in England.

For a new home, the building inspector from the local Council (equivalent to "City Hall") may visit at various stages to check the foundation, compliance with any requirements that were a condition of planning permission (i.e. building permit), and so on. It's only just recently that there have been even proposals to incorporate wiring as part of the building regulations.

A similar situation exists where someone is virtually gutting an old place down to the walls and rebuilding it internally. A neighbor did just that to his place over the last two years, putting on a complete new roof, building a new exterior brick wall and stripping out the old pre-fab walls. (Yes, I did all the wiring, including providing him with temporary power during the largest part of the works.)

Is there an official definition anywhere of what constitutes occupancy? If someone sleeps there a couple of nights a week and cooks an odd meal on a campstove while working on the place, would he be considered to be occupying the building?

It seems a rather gray area, like the "No overnight parking" signs on roadsides here, when there's no official definition of what constitutes "overnight."

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 01-30-2004).]

M
Bill,

The mortgage company would not close on my oldest daughter's new house until the yard was seeded and covered with straw, and they did have a CO.

I'm not sure what the value of this requirement was to them. Several hard rains followed, washed most of the seed away, and almost none of it grew. [Linked Image]

J
Here in MA you need a CO, for all projects even a single room remodel and a fire inspection

P
Just as a matter of interest, has anyone ever challenged an occupancy certificate requirement? I thinking along the lines of claiming that the state has no right to tell somebody that he cannot be on his own property.

R
Hi Paul. When we adopt a code, it is adopted as a state law. Section 110.1 of the International Building Code states that "...no building or structure shall be used or occupied....until the building official has issued a certificate of occupancy..."

I'm sure it could be challenged, but I doubt the results would be favorable to the challenger.

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
R
Hello Paul, like Ryan says, I'm sure it could and has been challenged, but I don't think it would go very far. The C.O. here is a prerequisite for utility service. (water and power)

I guess someone could live an 1800"s life style if they desired [Linked Image]

Roger

[This message has been edited by Roger (edited 02-10-2004).]

Isn't at least part of this requirement for Public Safety?

If not Electrical Related, think about Plumbing. The House must conform to certain Plumbing and Sanitary codes to better protect public Safety.

Isn't this part of it, or am I all wet? [Linked Image]

Bill

Bill
R
No Bill, you aren't all wet. The health dept does have say so in our C.O.'s

My mention of water service also includes sewer systems, be it septic tanks or municipality services.

Roger

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard