ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#15395 10/16/02 11:34 PM
A
ant540 Offline OP
I am a non-union third year apprentice who will be applying at the JATC tomorrow(Local 150 Lake County,IL)and I will be going before the board in March. I heard that it is very hard to get acepted into their trainning progaram. Any ideas or help to better my chances would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

#15396 10/17/02 02:16 PM
P
Being a Chicago Sparky, I only have one question.

How's your connections?

#15397 10/17/02 05:01 PM
Tom Offline
I don't know what the requirements are for someone who has already had some training. I know that those applying as first year have to have passed an Algebra class.

Since there is a projected shortage of about 50,000 electricians nationwide, I know of several locals that are really expanding their apprenticeship programs.

When you go for your interview first impressions count, so wear clean clothes, wear a real shirt (no T-shirts). If you're a guy, get a haircut. Look people in the eyes when talking to them. I realize this is basic stuff, but you'd be amazed at what many job applicants look like.

Be prepared to pass a drug test. The apprenticeship committee won't ask you to take one, but you can almost bet that your first employer will.

I don't know how big that local is areawise, but if they ask you if it is a problem driving 50 miles away to work & then driving back at night for school, the correct answer is "No."

Good Luck

Tom

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
#15398 10/17/02 05:20 PM
B
It's not hard to imagine that the ‘formal’ selection process of applicants for [viewed from the outside as] a "gravey" apprenticeship can't be completely automatic for the review committee. Right or wrong—understandably—relatives are going to see a degree of preferential treatment/unavoidable nepotism.

#15399 10/17/02 05:25 PM
N
ant540
There is, and has been, a nationwide organizing drive going on in the IBEW for many years now. I would think you experience and the fact you are working non union will be to your advantage. The goal for the locals is to get the best non union electricians to become members. This becomes a large incentive for the non union employers to become signatory to get their manpower. This is full circle from the old days when they, for the most part, only let you in if you know someone or are someone's son. The IBEW knows that this "Boys Club" mentality really hurt the union in that it turned away a lot of good electricians who went out and became a force to reckon with. But, back then the union controlled a very large majority of the work and everyone thought they were invincible.
Just be yourself, and act professional. That is all you can do. The number of apprentices they let into each local every year is governed by the amount of work the local has and projects to have over the next few years. The local and it's local NECA chapter agree on a number that benefits both and they select what they think are the best applicants available. I am living proof you don't have to know someone to get in. I was accepted first try and I don't know anyone. Heck, My dad is a college professor! He never worked the trades. Good luck.

Link Copied to Clipboard