ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/22/24 10:36 AM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 211 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
#153899 04/18/04 11:44 PM
D
Down (up?) here, the only requirement for "new" code compliance in existing structures is if the whole building is being redone - that is, greater than 51% reconstructed / remodeled (to studs), or add ons, if the new part is bigger than the old one (51%+). Obviously, the new addition needs to be done to current Code, but the existing can be left alone if the project size meets the req's.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#153900 04/20/04 05:18 PM
R
ravin Offline OP
After the on site inspection, I spoke with AHJ off site(towns general building insp.) to find out whats up; The HO was instucted that if any walls were exposed and any mech/elec/insullation were needed, such areas shall be treated as new work,this was the condition for his permit, but HO did not comply and insullated/sheetrocked then called me. This was not conveyed to me. I was aware of the 51% demo code and was leary when I quoted job seeing all this new rock and mentioned to HO it would have been easier to wire prior to rock install. I intentionally wrote on elec permit application old work without service upgrade knowing more elaborate elec would be neccessary. Did not release estimate to HO until I recieved my permit via mail. The HO was trying to do renovations without permit, because I looked at his permit date at town hall and it was after mine, obviously the AHJ knew it too. Thanks for the interest fellow contractors. Ravin

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard