ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 04:29 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 94 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
O
Similar modular units were common in Britain as a quick means of constructing houses after the War, when labour and materials were short. The one I've seen had a hot water cylinder in the middle with kitchen taps poking out one end, bath taps poking out the other, the electrical panel in the middle (for the immersion heater and the cooker in the kitchen)

Ragnar,
That's rediculous!. [Linked Image]
I've always maintained that the more socket-outlets you have in a house, the less likely the owners are to try and add more or use extension cords between rooms (which is BTW illegal here).
We've had discussions over in the Non-US Area about the minimum number of Sockets in a house.
I have a personal level of at least 25 double outlets.
Anyone disagree?.

{Spelling error}

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 03-24-2006).]

T
Here in this room (sort of living/bedroom) I have: 1 Schuko at either side of the door near the floor and 1 ungrounded above, at switch level. A double Schuko and two ungrounded scattered along the long wall. One triple ungrounded on each side of the window and a triple Schuko for the computer and stereo.

The house I grew up in was very limited on outlets throughout until I learned enough (and with my EC cousin's direction) to install more outlets & circuits.... 1 ungrounded to each room, 1 for a kitchen counter about 10' long, 2 in the living room, and one on the ceiling in the dining room (???). 4 circuits and a Bulldog panel with the screws broken off in most of the breaker spaces =(

We all know the codes in place nowadays that give us a fairly copious amount of outlets throughout a new house, but it's interesting seeing how things have evolved to where we are today. It seems in alot of the 1950's homes I've come across that it, at least, was industry standard to place an outlet about 40"+AFF in the dining room for a toaster or percolator. But kitchen counter outlets were scarce for the most part. A 1906 house I went to once had no outlets whatsoever in the bedrooms, (but there was a gasline in the baseboard. A 1903 house in LA I went to had an outlet halfway up the stairs, and one for the entire kitchen...

P
pauluk Offline OP
That raises some interesting historical questions.

1. When did the NEC first specify what must be installed? (As opposed to just specifying how things which the designer wanted to fit should be installed.)

2. When did the 12-ft. rule for receptacle spacing first appear?

3. When did the NEC first specify the two small-appliance circuits for the kitchen area?

I'm guessing that the latter was the most recent. Or were those older "four plus range & main" panels ever used with two fuses for the two small-appliance branch circuits and the other two serving general purpose recepts/lighting in the rest of the house?

C
2. 1928 12 outlets per 15 ampere circuit.
1940 receptacle spacing 20 ft.
1956 receptacle spacing 12 ft.
3. 1959 NEC was the first to require two kitchen circuits.
Creighton

P
pauluk Offline OP
Thanks! The 1959 date makes a lot of sense, with kitchen gadgets of all descriptions becoming far more common at the time.

As a matter of interest, do you know how far back the 3W per sq. ft. rule for general illumination circuits goes?

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 03-26-2006).]

C
Pauluk: 1947 Dwellings 2 watts per sq. ft.
1951 Dwellings 3 watts per sq. ft.
Creighton

Cat Servant
1960 was probably the most significant year for household construction.
This is because 1960 saw the election of John F. Kennedy as president- and more importantly, the rise of the "whiz kids" he brought with him into the office. For every "whiz kid" working in the White House, there were likely a thousand out there in industry, waiting to make their mark. "Can Do" was their motto, and technology their icon.

America's exploding population saw the first real standardisation of housing components. For example, window dimensions were standardised- no longer ned every single window be custom manufactured.

Along with this was a very real explosion in household apliances. No longer was the refrigerator in the kitchen an 'afterthought.' Clever designers tried to create 'modules' of common home components, but with very limited success.

One reason seems to have been that, dreams of designers aside, everyone wants something a bit different when it comes to their home. Another factor was the continuing changes in the appliances we demand.
For example, the module shown is missing at least one appliance that no kitchen today is without- the micro-wave oven!

A kitchen I recently saw had, as installed apliances, a fridge at least three times the volume of the unit shown, with triple the freezer space. The stove had six burners. There was a 'normal' oven, a convection oven, and a microwave. There were two dishwashers, and a wine cooler. Oh- and don't forget the garbage disposal, and the under-cabinet lighting!
Portable appliances? Gone are the days of the hand-held mixer and toaster being alone in the cupboard. Add the heavy-duty dough mixer, the small electric grill, the bread machine, the blender, and the pizza heater. Each of these can have significant current demand. They also need working space.

Contrast this to my "ahead of it's time" 1940 kitchen. It has exactly ONE plug -for the fridge- and a switch for the exhause fan, with a single light in the ceiling. It measures a generous 5ft wide by 8ft long, with the fridge set in a pocked added to the end of the 8ft. dimension. Take away the stove and sink, add the top of the water heater, and I have a total of 6ft counter space, broken into three segments. Sort of like out module- but shorter!

T
Apart from the style of the appliances the kitchen pictured is still pretty typical for Europe, especially for apartment construction.

In the 1970ies and 80ies standard for Vienna City Council housing was 1 receptacle per room, larger rooms two. Kitchen had a fridge ooutlet, a dedicated dishwasher circuit and maybe 2 or 3 general purpose receptacles. Everything else was on 2 or 3 10A circuits. Just to give you an idea of what were the minimum stabdards.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard