ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 274 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#152267 04/24/04 02:20 PM
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
Here are some more pics from Colt- the picture of the motor starter inner cover is very similar to Allen-Bradley

(from swedejr)
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

#152268 04/25/04 03:04 PM
I never has a clue Colt made all this stuff! Does anyone know when Colt stopped marketing electrical wares? This is now the 4th company Ive seen make the Multi Breaker setups...
Square D, Cutler Hammer & Trumbull were the others... You guys ARE saving this stuff? It'd be a shame to see it tossed out [Linked Image]

-Randy

[This message has been edited by Lostazhell (edited 04-25-2004).]

#152269 04/25/04 09:50 PM
N
COLT-NOARK fuse? Looks like a predecessor to FPE, Colt also built commercial dishmachines,there is one sitting in a local scrap yard that has a date with a plasma cutter.

#152270 04/26/04 07:56 PM
S
From what I gathered, Colt wanted to be self- sufficient, especially during the war years.
They certainly had the know-how and the machinery to do anything.

#152271 07/03/04 03:19 PM
M
The 1937 Colt Electrical Products catalog does not list any breaker panelboards. They do list "auxiliary" freestanding circuit breakers. This catalog, especially the section on cast iron service and fuse boxes brought back some memories, some terrifying, of eliminating the remaining downtown Milwaukee, WI 250 & 600 volt DC systems in the early 70's.

I'm in the process of moving and was going to dump this catalog. If anyone wants it let me know, no charge, I'll pay the postage, as I hate to dump what someone may want. Ping @ midlf@execpc.com. This catalog was on its way out the door at WEPCo in the mid 70's and it was too interesting to let the trash man have it.

MIDLF

#152272 07/05/04 06:23 PM
S
MIDLF-
I'd love to see that catalog....If you really don't want it, e-mail me and I'll give you my address....

Thanks,
Brian

#152273 08/12/04 07:30 AM
S
Hello All,

Nice site.

I have been in the trade for a while (started wiring houses in 1962 as a helper-the old man was in the trade) and enjoyed looking at the old gear pictures that have been posted. I have quite a collection of my own and recognize almost all of the items, as I have either worked on them or wrecked them out for newer gear. I came in through the IBEW and have worked the commercial and industrial (high and low voltage) fields, traveled quite a bit, and have been with the DoD for almost two and a half decades now. I am a Certified Level II Infrared Thermographer and use a FLIR P-60 camera.

Of particular appeal to me is the old Colt gear, as I have an interest in their other products. I have several of the 30a. disconnect nameplates and several of the embossed serpentine “C” nameplates used on the magnetic line starters. The gear itself was in very bad condition and was not salvageable. I have searched for some time looking for other people that have similar examples with minimal success. I had even written Colt, some time ago, inquiring into the rarity of these items.

[This message has been edited by Skyhawk (edited 08-12-2004).]

#152274 05/07/05 09:56 AM
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
Gents:

Attached is a jpg of a NOARK tag from a mine I'm working on here in NM. It even has the old bucking horse logo that is on revolver handles. It has patent dates of 1919 and 1924 and comes from a mine that, based on documents, was up and running between 1916-1930.

I'm not an electrical type, so any information you could provide would be appreciated. You may use the pic as you see fit. Thanks for having this thread; I was bumfuzzled until I found your site.

Neal Ackerly, Ph.D
Silver City, NM
[Linked Image]

#152275 01/10/06 06:24 PM
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
OK, guys, here’s your chance for some real fun with ancient history.

I’m a restoration architect in Noo Joisey trying to date a pair of fused disconnect switches (with steel cases and drop down doors). There are paper labels on the fuse cutout bases indicating they were part of the Nuark (or maybe Noark, but it looked like NUARK to me) Service System, manufactured by Johns-Manville with patent dates ending April 22, 1919.

Nobody I’ve been able to contact has ever heard of J-M as a manufacturer of this sort of stuff, although ABEBOOKS does have 1905 and 1911 JM catalogues that would appear to have included electrical devices like this. Based on the description of the 1924 JM “Service to industry” catalog and the 1929 copy of Sweets I have access to, they seem to have limited themselves to roofing and asbestos-based materials, and given up on electrical devices by the mid 20’s.

Is it possible the Noark/Nuark name was picked up by Colt from JM?

Anybody know anything about JM as a manufacturer of this sort of stuff, and how long the were in that business?

Thanks very much.

Ralph Walter

#152276 01/15/06 09:33 AM
Colt's diversification into machinery, printing presses,commercial diswashers, ticket punches, and electrical equip. came about as a matter of necessity.

Their firearms manufacturing was prone to extremme fluctuation due to wartime orders (in WWII they tripled their workforce). The diversification smoothed out the bumps for them, even producing pretty good dividends for the shareholders throughout the Depression.
By 1955 they had become a money loser because of lack of orders after Korea, and became a susidiary of one of the nation's first conglomerates, Penn-Texas.
The roller coaster continued, and they've had to survive a 4 yr strike (in the 80's), and filing for Chapter 11 (early 90's) since.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard