ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
[Linked Image from centennialbulb.org]

Visit the Bulb

This is probably the only Bulb with it's own website. We talked about this awhile back and I check back on it periodically. This is the 'Famous Livermore Centennial Bulb' it has been burning more or less continuously in Livermore, Ca. for the last 100+ years! (since 1901) - Talk about Long-Lasting!

This is a frame from their Bulb-cam which is updated every 30 seconds. (Refresh browser) Any time of day if you want to check on it you can come look at it. (Or some may want to watch it continuously? [Linked Image] ) Use it as a nitelight?..

You can visit 'its' website for more info at: http://www.centennialbulb.org/

Sign the guestbook, 'it' likes when you do that.

[Linked Image]
Bill

Bill
During the daytime you can see the filament itself.

Bill
This reminds me of a situation I had recently where Outside Lighting was installed around a circular driveway. There was 12 fixtures (rated 60W or 100W) that were lamped with 40W Bug-Lites and the bulbs kept burning out - like some would be lost every day or every other day. The line was a dedicated 15A circuit, GFCI protected, UF cable down 12"+ and voltage was within normal levels. After several bulb replacements We finally tried 40W 130v 'Rough Service' Bulbs and the problem went away. Any Ideas?

BTW, the owner wanted these yellow Bug-Lite Bulbs in the worst way, so that was the only type that was tried prior to the 130v ones.

Bill

Bill
W
Bill
My guess is that the operating voltage is lower than the normal voltage of the 130v rough service lamp. Back when I got into design, there were a few places where the old RLM incandescent fixtures were specified, and all with 130 volt filaments. I was told they would last longer. Since I am not into maintenence, I don't know if they did or not.
Just a thought.
[Linked Image]

Warren,

Yes, I think they are more 'sturdy' too, probably due to a slightly thicker filament.
I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts about the premature burnout of the standard bulbs. It was highly unusual. One thought I had was that their street was off a main drag and probably got some truck traffic. Some of the fixtures were 100' away from the road though, but that's my best guess on that one.

BTW,

I was told that ABC has been doing a lot of filming out there and 'The Bulb' will be on Peter Jennings, abc news, 5:30 (their time) this evening (Thurs). If anyone gets a chance they should tune in!

[Linked Image]
Bill

Bill
J
filament and 0 vaccum...is key to long lasting bulb

I think this Bulb just had another Birthday.
(101 !!) I check on it once in awhile.

OK, it's my nitelight (kidding) [Linked Image]
If you go to the site there is more info on the history here and they have a guestbook for comments.
http://www.centennialbulb.org/

Bill

Bill
E
I think you could make any standard lamp last 100 years if you were to lower the voltage considerably and prevent vibration.

Ed

Ed,

I was told by them that it is standard voltage and it did not even have any surge protection on it until recent years.

Bill

Bill
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I though light bulbs had an inert gas inside of them, not a vacuum. A true vacuum would be about 15 lbs per square inch of pressure on the outside of the bulb and would crush it, would it not?

I thought they had nitrogen in them or something...

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard