ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
Shout Box
Recent Posts
Photocell
by Docholiday. 01/22/18 10:52 AM
AreMetal Ladders Ever OK For Electrical Work?
by gfretwell. 01/22/18 01:15 AM
VDE 0100 to introduce AFCIs
by sparky. 01/20/18 05:09 PM
MRI LED lights dimmer control replacement - wow!
by Potseal. 01/19/18 08:52 PM
New in the Gallery:
Housebilding DIY wiring
SE cable question
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 22 guests, and 15 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Working in an old building #151314
10/04/06 12:53 AM
10/04/06 12:53 AM
P
PEdoubleNIZZLE  Offline OP
Member
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 176
McKeesport, PA, USA
I work in an old 3 story building. It was a department store, but was converted to a medical facility. We use half of the first floor for patients, and half of the second floor for storage. There are stairways and hallways leading to the storage part that have exposed asbestos insulation and peeling lead paint. Furthermore, one can freely travel the rest of the second and third floor.

Is this an actual OSHA violation. and if so, can certain places be marked "off limits" if not used, or do they also need to be sealed/repainted?

Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
Re: Working in an old building #151315
10/04/06 08:03 AM
10/04/06 08:03 AM
G
gfretwell  Offline

Member
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,167
Estero,Fl,usa
If you are tired of working there you could call OSHA.


Greg Fretwell
Re: Working in an old building #151316
10/04/06 08:37 AM
10/04/06 08:37 AM
renosteinke  Offline
Cat Servant
Member
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 5,316
Blue Collar Country
First of all, I would make sure my facts were right. That is, actual chemical tests confirm the presence of the suspect materials. There is a lot of peeling paint that has no lead, and a lot of fuzzy fireproofing that has no asbestos- regardless of age.

Assuming that these materials are present, well, what are you doing? You pretty much have to eat significant quantities of the paint to absorb the lead, and asbestos is a problem only when you inhale it.

If the stuff is just lying there, undisturbed as you walk by.... where's the risk? Can you protect yourself with a mask, while you scrape, vacuum the stuff out of your way? Maybe a coat of spray glue or varnish will keep it in place?

If you actually must disturb the stuff to any extent, then there ought to be a call made to the proper contractor, to reduce the risk.


Featured:

2017 Master Electrician Exam Preparation Combos
2017 NEC Electrician
Exam Prep Combos:
Master / Journeyman

 

Member Spotlight
CDS
CDS
Nicholson Ga
Posts: 34
Joined: June 2006
Show All Member Profiles 
Top Posters(30 Days)
Admin 21
Potseal 15
sparky 15
Popular Topics(Views)
243,595 Are you busy
180,392 Re: Forum
170,862 Need opinion
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.1
(Release build 20180101)
Page Time: 0.016s Queries: 14 (0.003s) Memory: 0.9522 MB (Peak: 1.0754 MB) Zlib enabled. Server Time: 2018-01-22 18:00:40 UTC