ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#15123 10/07/02 07:32 PM
S
sparky Offline OP
i get these service lateral jobs out in the puckerbrush here. i mean out there enough so i'll ask permission to hunt it.
[Linked Image]
my usual gig is the genny & a hot box for pvc, alas my genny crapped out today, with the excavator waiting @ $$$$ per hr
[Linked Image]
long story short, the quickest fix was to use one of those heat wands the roofers use to clear ice dams.

fed by my barbQ gas bottle this bent up pvc quite efficently. of course i had to roast a few to get the right distance/flame/timing of it all

anyhow...
i don't suppose i'm the first here to stumble upon the divine revelation of fire.

N
Sparky,
We have used these for years. They are much faster than hot boxes. In fact I never even order out the small hot boxes. Once one learns control over the flame you can't beat it for speed. Another + is you don't need power to run it and any size PVC is fair game. When running multiple smaller conduits I have heated half a dozen at a time. Get yourself one and toss the hot box!

B
One trick that sounds good but doesn't work is using a steam cleaner.

A ranch-supply weed burner is probably similar in heat output to the roofer's tool.

[It may be good for drying wet kitty cats, but isn’t worth the time to try to dry gym socks in the microwave over.]

N
Has anyone tried this product?
www.hotbend.com
I have seen the video they put out but have not actually used the bender. Wonder if it's worth the money?

[This message has been edited by nesparky (edited 10-08-2002).]

ed
T
I've used an Ideal Heat Shrink Gun that was kinda slow,but did the job.(Worked better if the ends of pipe were duct taped to help hold in the heat)I have also seen guys use the exhaust pipe on their truck with limited success

Donnie
S
sparky Offline OP
oh, i'm sold Nick,
i just need a little practice ...

nesparky,
yeah you can get the video from the site, $700 for the little gem.
[Linked Image from hotbend.com]

i went to the local gas co & dropped $50 on the wand i used... [Linked Image]

i'm rather taken by the shear simplicity !
man~pipe~fire.....go figger!
[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by sparky (edited 10-08-2002).]

B
Folks, don’t be fooled. The “Bend-O-Hot” is really a Cook-Rite Super Industrial baloney roaster. Look closely at the red handle—a dead giveaway. ;-)

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 10-08-2002).]

N
I was looking through some pictures today to see if I had one showing the bottles and wands we use. I was mostly unsuccessful. However, in this PIC you can see the hose and part of the handle! Anyway, I posted this to share some more tools of the trade. The little red saw you see is a Milwaukee metal cutting saw. It make short work out of small PVC. Cuts the big stuff too but you have to turn it a couple of times and it's hard to get a straight cut.(It is fantastic on metal too!) For the big stuff I always use a chop saw with either a carbon or metal cutting blade. Makes a perfectly straight cut and is VERY fast. The best place for those old hand PVC saws is in the trash bin. If you are in a spot where one of these won't fit, cutting with layout line is faster.

PS: Sparky- Not highjacking, just sharing. [Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Webmaster (edited 10-08-2002).]

E
http://www.hotbend.com/Index1.htm
I don't know if she's licensed or not but I'm sure she's good at straightening (rather than bending) electrician's conduits.

Administrator
[Linked Image]
Here is a picture of one of the torches we use here at the railroad. Works real well to warm up pvc, the time between flexible and burnt is about 30 seconds. [Linked Image]

The torch delivers about 1,100,000 btu's per hour. We use 5 of these when we are making boiler parts.

Trainwire

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard