ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
W
I was about 5 years old, decided to see what that little plug was on my Dad's lawnmower while it set there idling!

Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
S
My first was when I was around 4 years old and in Germany and I stuck a random piece (paper clip or hair pin) of wire into a receptacle in the hallway, getting jolted in the process with 220 volts, of course.

My then-nine year old cousin asked me what happened and between sobs I pointed at the socket on the wall with the little paper clip sticking out of it. Fool goes to grab it and pull it out and soon starts...feeling my pain. [Linked Image]

The most recent one was two summers ago when I was replacing worn-out/cracked wall sockets at my mom's apartment.

I had gotten to the point of replacing the dedicated 20-amp/110-volt air conditioner socket.

I didn't test for voltage before prying off the painted-on wallplate (which came off with the receptacle face ADHERED to it from al the paint).

Didn't realize I had pulled the wrong 20-amp breaker (incorrectly labelled too) before sticking my slightly sweaty hand in the surface-mount raceway box and grabbing for the remainders of that damned socket with such gusto!!! [Linked Image]

I let out a loud curse and my arm vibrated for a bit after I yanked it out. My grandmother (in the kitchen at the time) was like "so, it bit you?" "Uh-huh," sez I.

Sho-nuff...when I went over to the breaker box, I found out I had pulled the adjacent 20-amp breaker that powered a dedicated Nema 5-20 outlet in the kitchen instead!!!

For that project I had been replacing outlets branch by circuit and testing each one individually after it was installed and powered on, instead of knocking the whole house out while I worked and thereby cutting power off to an icebox full of perishables.

Always use the voltage tester (TWICE) before sticking your hand in the damned box!!!!

It's the stupid things like that that can kill you... [Linked Image]

W
First time for me in the field was when I was 17. Up on top of a 32" ladder leaning against steal gurder.The licensed electrician at ground level told me to go ahead and rip out the old wiring, I asked twice if it was dead, with arogance and attitude he replied hes damn it! Just do what I tell you. I grabed hold of the wiring while holding onto the steal with my other hand for support. THUG! I got belted and couldn't let go for a few seconds. He looks up at me and says " r u getting zapped?" The electricity of 277v ran through my whole upper body including which felt like my head. I said in so many words, you said this was dead! He replys, "oh I forgot about the emergency line" Thanx a lot yah jerk. I couldn't function properly for a couple of hours with him telling me to get back to work. I was head down on a table half asleep. At the time I wanted out, but I definately learned a valuable lesson. I don't care how experienced you are, I'm never gonna just trust anyone again before I check it myself. I wanted revenge on that guy, turned out several years later he was involved in a severe accident and is now a parapalegic. Wouldn't wish this on anyone, starnge how it ended up though.

S
If the shock does not hurt, often the reaction to shock does.

S
Wirenuttt,
remember the woolen mills, manlift, washing the fluor. fixtures?

D
my worst was from a megger in the Navy. Nothing like waking up to that.

W
sparky;
wasn't that a Dibo job?

S
yeah, Dibo,.... wash down 'live' lights, remeber where you stuck that sponge?

W
That musta been one of those if you remember it you really weren't there scenes. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Wirenuttt (edited 12-08-2002).]

S
Ange,
ya stuck the %$& sponge in a 277 tube end!
[Linked Image]

Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard