Today I saw a man electrocuted; fortunately, a timely response led to a happy ending.
The electrician was about three steps up a ladder, wedged in between assorted pipes and ducts, working on a circuit. The box contained multiple circuits, and, as these were 'critical' circuits in a maximum security prison, it was not feasable to shut them all down. This was a 208/120 system. It appeared that he may have grabbed a loose neutral wire; that is not certain. What is certain is that he suddenly became errect, as if he were 'standing at atention.'
When "are you OK" got no response, another sparky kicked the ladder out from under him. No difference; he was supported by the piping. The sparky then wrapped his arms around the thighs of the victim, and tugged. The victim had a well-controlled drop to ground, where he collapsed to his knees, and "jacknifed" over. It was clear that the victim had no pulse, and was not breathing. The other sparky then grabed the man's collar, and pulled him up, over, and on to his back. At this point, the victim revived. Time for the entire drama? Probably less than a minute.
Another fifteen minutes rest were required, before the victim was able to stand. He was examined by local medical personnel, then driven to the hospital for a follow-up exam.
The hospital exams- mainly EKG and blood tests- revealed that the man had, indeed, suffered a very severe shock. This stunned the attending medics, as he appeared quite healthy at the time! He is being kept overnight for observation, and is expected to be working again Thursday.
Where do I fit into this story? Tonight I get to go to the airport, and pick up his 10 yr old grandson....who is coming to visit.
Bob, I agree. Gloves could have prevented this from happening. However, anyone that has read my rants on Occupational Safety here would know that I am all for cover-up gear. Sure I might be a Line-Mechanic, but I've never been involved in an Electric Shock incident in the time that I have been in the Trade. Cover-up gear uses Neoprene sheets as a barrier to live parts, clipped with plastic clips. Next time I do one of these jobs I'll submit some pics. Sure it looks like a bomb could go off, with the amount of barriers, but that is standard practice here. You only have the parts being worked upon exposed. A few of you lower voltage folks could learn a lot from us high voltage workers.
[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 04-06-2006).]
Re: Today I witnessed an Electrocution#151035 04/06/0604:32 AM04/06/0604:32 AM
Kenny, I agree. Electrocution means a fatal electric shock, where the brain dies along with other essential organs. Personally I blame a lot of this sort of talk on the media, after sensationised headlines, as in "Man Electrocuted by Electric fence". Death is Death. No coming back from that.
Re: Today I witnessed an Electrocution#151039 04/06/0610:24 AM04/06/0610:24 AM
I thought carefully before I called this an "electrocution." I stand by my choice of words.
The victim had stopped breathing. He had no pulse. He was completely unconscious. Only upon revival did his vital signs resume. Had there been a less promt response....
Since then, we have learned that one of the 'points of contact' was his left temple; an electrical burn has surfaced there. It is safe to say his system was completely shut down as a result of the current flowing through his brain.
He may not have seen heaven, but he was shaking hands with St. Peter!
Re: Today I witnessed an Electrocution#151040 04/06/0601:03 PM04/06/0601:03 PM