ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#150622 07/12/05 10:47 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
John and I have been talking amongst ourselves and instead of the older "ambulance at the bottom of the cliff" sort of thing.
We want to get you guys thinking about Occupational Safety.
Not in the circumstance of "What went wrong", but more, "how could a thing, should it happen, be prevented?"
And I can agree with what John is saying, best thing would be to "nip it in the bud, before something bad happens".
At the end of the day, Occupational Safety is a state of mind, not a training scheme or anything else, unless it's in your head and fixed there, there is no point in showing workers what is best for them.
Your thoughts?

Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
#150623 07/12/05 11:18 PM
S
Trumpy
I was working in a Pac Bell bldg in So Cal. I could not help but overhear huge roars of laughter and clapping coming from a meeting room. This was definatley not the norm for this bldg as it was an operators PX for the area. Couriosity finally got to me and I very casually made my way down the halls, completely out of my work area.When i got to the room hwere all the noise was coming from... the door was slightly ajar and I could peek in. The room was full of people 50-60 of them, all constuction crews. I was listening in and got busted. One fellow said "come-in, have a seat" so I did. They were having a "Saftey Meeting" watching a video. It was SNL, the one where Chevy Chase was plaing Julia Childs and cut her finger off, blood was squirting every where.

I laughed my a$$ off. This is probably one of the most Saftey Concinous company in the world. That's why I was laughing.

Rob

#150624 07/15/05 02:24 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Great to hear that Rob,
I'd be laughing too, if it weren't for the actual injury factor of the video.
But, an interesting point you raise, humour and Safety don't as a rule fit together too well.
Especially when you're talking about people being injured or possibly killed.
Other side of the coin, I've seen some incredibly cheesy Safety video's in my time (I think most of them were made in the 80's) and you can't help but giggle at them. [Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard