ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Personal Protective Equipment

Question:

What types of PPE does an OSHA Compliance Officer wear in the USA when making an inspection of an indoor substation?

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
Joe,
What types of PPE does an OSHA Compliance Officer wear in the USA when making an inspection of an indoor substation?
Darned good point, mate.
I would imagine that Safety Glasses or a visor would come into play, where that Inspector would be looking to remove the Dead-Front of the Panel.
A small question Joe, should it be any different to a worker accessing a panel, should that panel be Live?.
As in, should a Fault-Current calculation take place before that Dead front is opened, to decide what type of PPE shall be required?
To also add, I would not open any panel wearing less than Class 1 Insulated Gloves and Outers and my over-alls sleeves rolled fully down.
BTW, a Hot-stick (or a Shot-gun stick) is also classed as PPE these days too.
What sort of voltage would you be dealing with, with an Indoor Sub-station?.
Only Sub-station's I've ever dealt with are Outdoor ones.
11-33kV here.

Trumpy

I found this on the www.OSHA.gov site:

Protection of OSHA Personnel

Guidance on how OSHA compliance officers must prepare for workplace inspections, and requirements for how they identify and wear appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE), is addressed in CSHO training courses, OSHA's Field Inspection Reference Manual, and in directives that address inspection procedures for specific hazards. OSHA policy requires that CSHOs use appropriate PPE when the possibility exists of being exposed to a hazard.

That same policy requires OSHA personnel to stay out of such areas if they are not adequately protected by the use of appropriate PPE.

Appropriate PPE for hazards such as beryllium is respiratory, head, eye, face, and foot and hand protection.

You covered these in your reply. I am just fishing for information. I found some file showing an inspector from OSHA wearing and suit and tie and hard hat and thought this would be a good question. the voltage is with the range you described.

Dammit Joe,
You always ask the strangest of questions.
However, I say that is good, it keeps guy like me thinking.
I failed to see the OSHA inspector angle of your original post.
Let me relate a little story, if I may.
back in 1997, I was part of a Faultsman's Refresher course on CT's and working with them live.
The guy that took the course was a retired Electrical Inspector working on behalf of OSH NZ.
He opened the front of this 800A 400V CT Chamber.
And then proceeded to tell us about the dangers of working around Live CT's.
That's OK, one of the guys said just in jest, "Well seems your so close to that, why haven't you got gloves and sleeves on?"
The guy wasn't going to be told by some trainee on his course, so he demonstrated, he said "See, I can hit these CT's with my bare h....
The CT bank fell down into the pan assembly and across a couple of the busbars, causing a HUGE explosion.
One of the other guys on the course managed to put the guy out as his (Nylon)shirt caught fire.
He was in hospital for 5 weeks so I'm told.
If OSHA requires PPE, OSHA wants to walk the walk.
If we have to, so should they, is all I can say.

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 07-08-2005).]

Trumpy:

Dammit Joe,

You always ask the strangest of questions.

However, I say that is good, it keeps guy like me thinking.

I failed to see the OSHA inspector angle of your original post.

Thanks for the summary of an experience you had during your career.

I am still trying to find out what type of PPE should be worn by an OSHA Compliance Officer.

An OSHA Compliance Officer should already know what is required with respect to PPE.
Because if he doesn't, how are we supposed to know?.
I believe the term "Lead by Example" comes into play. [Linked Image]

Trumpy

An OSHA Compliance Officer should already know what is required with respect to PPE.
Because if he doesn't, how are we supposed to know?.
I believe the term "Lead by Example" comes into play.

Huh? [Linked Image]

Generating a comment of this type is also strange, dammit, and may be a good reason for someone within the vast ECN membership to look into the OSHA standards to try and give a more meaningful answer.

I know the answer, and was trying to generate some discussion here because there are others who have the same question.

Study these links for a while and compare the different rules dealing with approach distance, etc., if a copy of 70E for 2004 is not available, it would probably be better to get one, or wait until someone who does have a copy can answer the questions.

References:

Arc Flash Protection, NFPA 70E
http://www.labsafety.com/store/dept.asp?dept_id=43803
http://www.labsafety.com/store/dept.asp?dept_id=43805
http://www.labsafety.com/store/dept.asp?dept_id=43804

S
Joe
Substations are not in my realm but....this individual should not be allowed to enter unless he properly attired to the Company's rules. I would figure the Co would be operating at the level that OSHA would spec, as a minimum. This individual would dressed as any worker would be, doing any job in this atmosphere.

Respectfully
Rob

Link Copied to Clipboard